Introducing Aerodynamic Forces [Studio Beta]

Couldn’t you raise the air density to make it have a bigger effect on the cars.

You could but it would also increase Drag. Some vehicles due to the complicated shapes of spoilers etc the current model doesn’t do enough to replicate the performance, which is where you want to be able to tweak individually CL and CD properties.

wow can you make this a free model so we can all experiment with it

1 Like

i don’t really think he’s gonna do that, at most he might make the game public.

Is it just me or does anyone else get an annoying bug where their completely symmetrical plane just goes left/right for no reason, with no wind? And it seems that changing air density just changes which way the plane turns.

1 Like

Hello! Sorry to hear you are experiencing this problem, we would be happy to take a look at it. Can you provide us with more information, for example, are you using a MeshPart? If you are comfortable DMing me your asset we can take a look and see what is going on.

does anyone know the ETA of when this’ll be playable in game, much appreciated. (unless it already is and im out of the loop)

Thanks for answering. How could I send it?

1 Like

We are planning to release an open beta, playable in experiences, later this year after completing some improvements to the model’s behavior (lift/drag), performance, and stability.

1 Like

I’ll send you a direct message on the dev forum you can reply to.

How would I be able to simulate a swaying effect using these new features. I’ve tried but it either just flies away or doesn’t move at all.

Is there any news? I thought it would be released in February ᓚᘏᗢ

1 Like

I assume few delays but tbh there would be quite a bit more they’d need to push for us to test in Beta before we see any release.

Hello creators!

If you are still watching this thread, we have released two updates to Aerodynamics since this Studio beta went out that we would love to get feedback on:

Aerodynamics [Studio Beta] November 2023 Update: Added buoyancy, new FluidFidelity property and new debugging visuals.

Aerodynamics [Studio Beta] April 2024 Update: Improved force model and setting FluidFidelity directly in APIs

Note: The examples on this topic have also been updated and re-tuned to work with the improved force model

1 Like

The COP and COM Visualization is fantastic help for understanding where the COP is acting in relation to the Center of Mass. Helps for aircraft systems that try to automatically control that variable to acceptable limits. I assume eventually the COP will be found in properties as a value or able to call via a function.

I really enjoyed this one, but I think they could simplify the process of making planes that fly. Right now, you have to put a lot of effort into scripting and balancing, and it would be helpful if the game handled some of that for you.

Hi Playfull,

This looks awesome, thanks for sharing!
Could you share more on what you envision to make the creation of planes / other aerodynamic vehicles easier?

Also, are these red lines force visualizations? If so, how’d you do that?
Have you checked out the fluid forces visualizer we provide in Studio Settings?

Best,
M0bsterLobster

1 Like

I haven’t gotten around to using the fluid forces visualizer yet, but I’m planning to soon. The red lines you see there are actually showing where the forces are at work, so you can easily see how the wind flows and where it’s being directed at.

A lot of that is shown with the Fluid virtualizer tho to have a properly balanced or trimmed plane when the surfaces are neutral we’d need to be able to compare the position of the Center of Mass vs the Center of Pressure which atm with the virtualizer there isn’t any values for either COP or COM as vector3 positions to do so. Once you have this then its a case of making a controller for example that trims surfaces to the ideal positions to maintain the intended behavior aka near level flight when surfaces are neutral.

1 Like

We’re working on something that will help solve this limitation :saluting_face:
Stay tuned!

2 Likes