Introducing Archimedes 3 - A building plugin

Cool, thank u so much for this! This is very helpful for builders :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Hi, I’m not able to replicate this issue and I’m spam clicking the launch button. Can you tell me exactly how this happens?

Edit: Can you check to make sure you have the latest version? The last release is still marked as v3.1.6, which you have, but there were a few tiny updates made here and there. I didn’t change the version number because they were very small changes.

Also if you’re getting constants bugs, please report them to me like you did with this one. I don’t mean to be rude, but I can’t exactly fix bugs that I’m not aware of.

2 Likes

I’m working on a big update that should hopefully bridge the gap between Archimedes 2 users and Archimedes 3 users. The update will add a ton of new customisation options, including the ability to switch from the checkboxes toggle style to the legacy buttons via the “ToggleMode” dropdown. It will also include the ability to fully customise the selection box that Archimedes creates around a preview model/part.

This is what I have planned for the new settings tab so far (may change quite a bit before release):

All of the code for the UI in this update is completely new. I was still kind of new at Roact whenever I made the previous UI, but now I’ve learned a lot since then about what I shouldn’t do. I’ve also since learned how to use Rojo properly when creating plugins, so this version will be easier to maintain through GitHub so that people can easily see the source (or contribute).

My final goal is to allow the user to customise the behaviour of the plugin to match their workflow as best as I can.

Edit: I’ll post an explanation of each of the settings in the main post whenever this update actually releases.

3 Likes

Oh, damn I didn’t know this existed, that’s gonna help a ton

1 Like

Thank god, I didn’t know if I could make it another week without duplicating several dummy and house models into a circle to worship our great lord. I don’t know how else I could’ve prepared for the awakening!

1 Like

Sorry for the bump, but you shouldn’t be using ServerStorage to store data using plugins, instead create a folder inside the plugin and store data there as most devs don’t want to see plugins storage in ServerStorage as other devs in team create could: Edit the data, and if they own the same plugin, it could overwrite the data.

2 Likes

ServerStorage is not used to store data about the plugin itself; it’s to store a copy of your original model before it gets modified by the in-beta Auto-Resize feature, just in case something goes horribly wrong with your model and you need to reset it. I do however need to change it so that this folder is not created unless you are actually using this feature - at the moment it just gets created even when it isn’t in use, which isn’t ideal.

I can’t store the model inside of the plugin folder itself because then it’d no longer exist once the session ends. Storing models like this is a common method utilised by many large plugins (see tag editor and brush tool).

unknown (1)

Alrighty then. Roblox has not provided us the proper way to store data in a plugin. Maybe you could store it in a hidden service?

1 Like

Hey, for some reason every time I open up studio this plug-in pops up and automatically enables. Every time I close it, although it’s starting to get annoying. I don’t know if your doing this but could you please make it stop? It really messes up my workflow :sweat_smile:

I also have this issue. At one point I had to disable the plugin to stop the gui widget from appearing. I believe this also occurs during play testing too.

Do you both have the latest update? This should’ve already been patched in the last release - the widget only enables automatically if you’ve left it open in a previous session, and the screen gui shouldn’t enable automatically at all.

@savio14562

Edit: Just opened up a place to test with the latest version. I launch the plugin, close it, then open a new studio tab and the plugin stays closed. Unless it’s in widget mode, but that’s intentional to mimic studio widget behaviour - I feel like if you had the widget opened then it should stay open, since that’s how the other studio widgets behave. That’s going to be an option that you can toggle in the next update. If it is widget mode that you’re talking about, you can switch to the ScreenGui by pressing this button.

Edit #2: Neither Widget or ScreenGui are showing up for me in play testing, so you might have an update pending in your “Manage Plugins” window.

1 Like

There was no update pending, however the issue does not happen now.

I have no updates pending and the problem still occurs. I have seriously no idea why it does this or how to stop it. @savio14562 said that it doesn’t occur for him anymore yet I’m still getting it, like I have been for a couple months. Its such a slight thing that annoys me so much! If you could check this out it would be great :sweat_smile:

Any particular reason why decimal points arent allowed in offset input? Very essential thing to have support for, I can’t see why it’d be disabled @_@

No real reason, the offset thing was just a last minute feature added right before release so it was overlooked. Will fix this in the next update.

1 Like

awesome! as a temporary workaround, i found that copy pasting the decimal number into the field works lol, its just typing in the field itself that doesnt work

Would one of the glitches consist of what is below?

No, the gap there appears to be caused by the overhanging parts that you have on the edge of the model. Archimedes doesn’t know that you want the big dark grey center part there to align with the other one, it’s trying to align the entire edge of the model.

2 Likes

Thank you!! So just re-adjust the lining to make everything even and it shall be perfecto. Gracias senor! <3

Good plugin!
I have one feature request:

You should be able to make nodes
You can select a face on one part like this:

ignore the “Selection Behaivor” window because i screenshotted it while using ResizeAlign
And then you can select another face on another part:

When you press “Render” it connects the parts that were selected
Unbenannt456

3 Likes