Introducing Avatar Importer to Studio

Those are only for player characters, and I saw games like Dinosaur Simulator handling over 17M rendered triangles without too much lag. The game can take up to 40 players with that kinda models and complaints about lag are scarce. A point that helps it is the game is PC only, for their power as well as some maniability (flight controls on mobile/console are a pain) and UI design.

We compensate by making everything else as light as we can, as making map props pretty low poly (most props are kept under 1k triangles) and simplifying collisions as much as we can since itā€™s usually a great lag source. Weā€™re still trying to make the models lighter and lighter, but weā€™re talking about dragons, which take much more parts to get good animations on (we never could go under 120 parts, including decorations like spikes on the spine).

I understand your point, but in that kinda scenario, I think that a 100k triangles limit would not be outrageous, considering that what is animated most often are character models, which come in limited numbers and have some physics (the heaviest part to process) calculated by each client individually.

1 Like

That sounds like really good news for us! as we are using Tanks for a Military simulator that go up to 30k triangles, and the main gun meshes have around 20k, plus the terrain have to be km and km of it and towns plus vegetation!

2 Likes

Weā€™ve identified a crash where attempting to import an empty FBX file will cause Studio to crash. A fix is in the pipeline, but please avoid attempting to import empty files in the meantime.

1 Like

I take it custom rigs still need to be in separate parts; thereā€™s still no mesh deformation technology here?

2 Likes

Yes, currently all rigs must use non-deforming meshes.

1 Like

Definitely a great addition, especially since I was going to model specific characters for my game. Now I donā€™t have to hassle through it and I can just import them straight from blender! They still work like other imported models though so it would be like assembling legosā€¦ :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Awesome! Iā€™ve been wanting to see something like this for a long time. Great work!

1 Like

How come the R15 sample wasnā€™t released?

Canā€™t explain how useful this is! Itā€™s got to be Devmas!

If youā€™re referring to the sample from the screenshots I posted, you can download that here

https://developer.roblox.com/articles/using-avatar-importer

The link looks like this

1 Like

Thanks for replying!

I just mean the R15 character rig, the only sample thatā€™s posted is the Rthro Avatars.

Basically I would like to have a R15Rig thatā€™s already setup.

1 Like

so this is possible

19 Likes

That is nice and funny at the same time.

This is incredible! I wasnā€™t the biggest fan of Rthro, but now Iā€™m starting to realize the possibilities youā€™re creating with these avatars.

Thanks for the update, will definitely try it out soon.

Leaked King of the Monsters footage?

1 Like

can please someone make a video showing how to make it work?. cause i tryed ā€œalotā€ and the maximum i made work was 3 bones from a custon rig ā€œhumanoidā€.
every time i import a rig with this some times work and some dont and most of the times all is missing the motor 6d.

also the plugin API dont say nothing abbout the _End but the program ask for add a model with name _End.

Edit i coud make it work if instead using bones i use PlainAxis , but with axis i cant animate stuff or set keys for bind save keyframe and i cant add propeties to axis.

5 Likes

From what Iā€™ve seen from this post, it looks really nice! Iā€™ve tried it for a bit and couldnā€™t get it to quite work. Can I get some aid on this?

2 Likes

woud be nice a video tutorial,iā€™ve tryed using it and i coud not make it work using actual bones.
only using empty axis.
the problem of using empty axis is that it is limited for using modifiers.

5 Likes

Yesss!! Finally! This is a feature weā€™ve needed for sooo long! This looks so useful.

1 Like

Thank you so much ROBLOX really excited for custom avatars in my game!