Introducing Builder Font + Deprecating Gotham and Arial

I get that Ariel-Arimo and Gotham-Montserrat are kind of redundant, but since Ariel is one of the most popular and widely used fonts in the world, I feel like removing it and keeping Arimo is an odd choice. Still pretty harmless, all things considered, just a strange choice. At least the Builder font looks cool.

2 Likes

Didn’t seem to be an issue in 2014 when it dominated their in-game interface and they were a much smaller company. Doesn’t seem to be an issue on this site where… most of the themes still use it.

Don’t see what’s changed other than the fact that as a megacorporation, Roblox has substantially more money now and would be easily able to pay off whatever chickenfeed’s worth that any licensing would cost. Once again developers are being made to pick up the pieces.

2 Likes

Good font, however, sad news for Gotham my favorite font in Roblox.

3 Likes

I feel like the total amount of money they’d have to pay for licensing depends on the amount of people that view their website or use Roblox Studio, since some font licenses require users to pay more if their website increases in popularity.

So the actual licensing fees are likely something so expensive that even Roblox doesn’t want to pay them anymore, which makes sense given that the platform has a higher player count.

2 Likes

(For clarification Tommy Tallarico did not make the “oof” sound)
(Also corporations exist to make as much money as possible, it isn’t super surprising that they’d cheap out like that)

3 Likes

NO. YO NEW FONT LOOKS SO UGLY.
Don’t yo think removing Gotham and Arial gonna make the font blow up?
REVERT REVERT
Montserrat is a fake Gotham font!
Arimo… NO NOT SIMULAR ITS JUST MODERNISED!

3 Likes

I really like this new font. Check out this comparison between Source Sans and Builder:

4 Likes

I’d argue it’s an even bigger issue now that Roblox is significantly larger than it was a decade ago.

4 Likes

Why not throw Source Sans Pro at me like it’s nothing

2 Likes

Or try this on the Roblox App, Website, and Creator Hub:

-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Segoe UI, Roboto, Ubuntu, Helvetica, Helvetica Neue, Arial, Sans-serif, Segoe UI Emoji, Apple Color Emoji, Noto Color Emoji, Noto Sans
1 Like

Here’s a preview of this:

-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Segoe UI, Roboto, Ubuntu, Helvetica, Helvetica Neue, Arial, Sans-serif, Segoe UI Emoji, Apple Color Emoji, Noto Color Emoji, Noto Sans

1 Like

Lil’ question here.
What will happen to games with the Arial and Gotham font?

3 Likes

Why would you be excited to show that you are forcing us to switch from fonts we love using? is it not possible to just keep Gotham/Arial with the addition of this new font? was that never an option? when will you guys decide to allow creators to upload and use their own fonts so that we can find our own suitable replacement for such useful fonts (if you ever decide that we deserve to have such a thing)

sometimes it feels like with every new addition to Roblox, something genuinely useful is sacrificed.

3 Likes

Or dont expect Segoe UI bc it requires a license from Microsoft

1 Like

It really surprises me that people will call Roblox greedy for wanting money while they would do the same thing

1 Like

I mean personally I wouldn’t but I’m also a person and not a corporation so :person_shrugging:

1 Like

In reality there’s nothing wrong with cutting costs. Budgeting is important especially with the economy in its current state. They could use the couple thousand dollars they spend on a font on other infrastructure

1 Like

@vamorafa It’s a bit ironic that the fonts are available through the creator store when there is no way for creators to upload their fonts. I have zero experience working in a foundry, but I have worked for media production like animation studios, and font licensing is relatively difficult to deal with sometimes.

I’m not asking for the ability to upload fonts for public use, but it would be appreciated if game creators can upload fonts they have bought or made such that it can be use in their own assets (if a license is provided). With bigger games appearing on the front page and greater efforts put into development and branding, studios may start to buy font licenses or consult type foundries to create wordmarks.

However, the creator store, only contains 89 fonts families and it is quite disappointing because different fonts have their own personalities, it could be delicate, like TT Commons and Halcom, or expressive, like TT Carvist, or playful, like Shine Bubble. Designers with such a limited font library can easily hit into a roadblock, it’s restricting creativity to an extent.

We aren’t poor, paying a font license won’t cause us to go bankrupt, but paying for a font and not having the option to use it in the way I font? That’s ridiculous, come on, creator store. Give us the ability to upload fonts, just like how music can be licensed yet creators can still upload them.

3 Likes

We appreciate everyone sharing their feedback around our new fonts – we realize there are some outstanding questions which we have addressed in a FAQ within the post.

Please take a look!

2 Likes

they updated the license so that you can use it for thumbnails

5 Likes