Introducing colbert2677, Hobbyist Developer and Platform Enthusiast

NOT FOR HIRE

This is a work showcase portfolio only.
Do not reach out with offers, as they will all be declined.

deathspeaker avatar

colbert2677
Hobbyist Developer and Platform Enthusiast

Looking to develop, learn, entertain and be entertained.

Background

Get to know me

Hello! I’m colbert2677. I’m 18 years old and am an avid participant of various pastimes and hobbies, most notably anime and programming. I have been on Roblox since 2010 and possess far too many accounts, assets, history, commitments and more on this site. My ultimate goal is to take my hobby and start turning it into revenue for three main causes: supporting myself and my needs and wants, supporting my favourite creators and having some spending money for my hobbies.

Since I first started considering where I wanted to see myself in the future, I’ve seemed to always have had a fascination with technologies. For around 4 years, I had my sights set on becoming a construction engineer. Soon after being told about Roblox, my sights changed towards programming and have remained unwavered since. Though I’ve still got a long way to go despite spending 9 years coding on Roblox Studio and attempting to branch out, I strive to learn new things about programming every day.

I can’t write a proper conclusion here, because I like to think that my story has not ended yet. My story is continually being authored, with many experiences along the way. I am always hopeful that the next chapter will be better than the last.

Career acknowledgements First off, I want to say that I almost wholly owe my career to three or so people: my brother, Nitefal (formerly djbrian2) and the developers over at Rudimentality. They've each helped introduce me to new parts of Roblox, which eventually led me to be in the position I am in now.

The one who introduced me to Roblox was my brother (who is no longer an active Roblox player), who was just so desperate to show me this “cool game” that he played at a friend’s house. Not long after, I became hooked on Roblox. I was looking for fun activities then; Roblox satisfied that.

As I kept playing games that simply captivated my interest, it eventually got to the point where I wanted to start making them. At some point, I came across Nitefal’s fan-made sequel to a game created by CoderQwerty named Contamination. Despite Nitefal’s growing success at the time, he still interacted with his game’s community and I happened to be one of those people. I was a hardcore fan; following him around lots, trying to get his attention or talk to him, all the usual fan things.

A bit of time after revisiting Nitefal’s fan-made Contamination sequel often, I started getting into edit mode. I never made any substantial creations, but I was using the insert tool to add items. I don’t quite think I used Studio, just the edit mode that dropped you into a server alone so you could build and save. Often when I saw Nitefal I’d ask him questions about programming and Studio. He’d always answer - never a straight answer, but a pointer in the right direction. I’m grateful that he never spoon fed me answers, because this wouldn’t open up opportunities for myself to actually learn. Many years down the line and he’d still recognise me and show me some new things he made - that was pretty cool.

Now, my last mention was Rudimentality. In my eyes, they were the big developers of the year, the ones who were going above and beyond with Roblox technologies. Rudimentality often left projects unfinished and open sourced them, so I of course grabbed myself a copy of their open source materials. Rudimentality was a primary source of learning for me, as I’d skim through their code and slowly learn how to do things (e.g. how to make a button show a window if it was clicked). I can’t say much else about them since I never interacted with them. All I can give is a thanks for the open source material.

Timeline for how I learned how to develop

To be honest, I never expected that I would become passionate about development, much less become a developer myself. I don’t have much of a story I can share with you about my development experiences nor one that I fully remember, but you’re here because you’re curious. Presenting a timeline of my experiences.

For the years I’ve been on Roblox, I got into Roblox Studio quite quickly. I was already loading up the build mode once I had played some games. I never formally got acquainted with Roblox Studio as a whole until around early or mid 2011.

I first started with build mode, the feature that existed before personal servers. You were given a few standard building tools and were forced into a full-screen session. Just before leaving, you could choose to save or discard changes. I remember throwing things around and calling that a game - small laboratories with exploding devices, giant walls of solid colour for rooms, a giant snake littered with fire meshes, so on. This was when I was trying to get a taste of making a game, but I never made anything proper.

Eventually came the time when I migrated from build mode to Roblox Studio. I was still very new and I was doing the same thing - searching the toolbox and dropping in a couple of free models I happened upon. The first real thing I did with Roblox Studio was change the pitch of the song “One Winged Angel” to replicate the one Nitefal had for his game and from there, I learned about the properties window. It still took a while before I started opening scripts.

Searching through the source code of open source Rudimentality games was when I first began looking into scripting and game functionality. It all took off from here. I still remember trying to act like a big-shot coder… I took up a few projects in groups (I still do), most of which ended up low quality or unfinished (still a relevant problem). My memory of early scripting days is quite hazy. It’d take a while to remember any of it.

That’s about it. Were you expecting something grander? Sorry I couldn’t provide. Not everyone has the greatest story to accompany them. I don’t have such things to relish about.

Quick facts about me
  • I really like anime.
  • I am an avid follower of the Roblox SCP genre, which is fathered by the SCP Wiki.
  • Nearly every account I own on the Internet uses the name “colbert2677”, save a few where I got the name permanently locked or it was occupied by someone else. Check with me via Roblox, Twitter or Discord if it’s me before proceeding in any dealings with a “colbert2677”.
  • I first began coding when I was 9. I didn’t include this in my story, so here it is as a quick jot. Thanks, Rudi. Your team created my career.
  • I have contributed to far too many groups and games, but have not released any personal projects yet.
  • You can often find me camped out on Scripting Support of the DevForum.
  • I am looking to become a Jack of All Trades so I can work on games without a team. This means doing all the coding, modelling, art, audio engineering, music composition, voice acting, writing, production and more.
  • I seem to be just about everywhere on Roblox. Definitely an over exaggeration, but I feel like that’s the case.

Development Experience

I have unfortunate news for those who are seeking what experience I possess. I acknowledge that experience is important to demonstrate, however I do not have any kind of records of my previous dealings and thus must work solely off of memory or reminder. My experience tab may come off as limited until I am able to fill it with enough to consider anything further as excess. I can answer questions if you have any, though.

Platform Experience

In progress.

Tool Belt

I find that introducing your proficiencies is one excellent way to show yourself off as a developer. It establishes what you’re strong at, learning and gives a general sense of your competency as a developer. In respect to this, the sections below will outline trades I’m familiar with or delving into as well as a general summary of how I’m fairing with each.

(WIP)

Platform Acknowledgements

• DevForum Invitee

• Applied December 28th, 2016 (approx.)
    • Accepted July 10th, 2017 as Full Member
  • Roblox QA Tester of the Month (7th non-repeat recipient)

• Awarded (+1) December 2018
    • Awarded (+1) January 2019
  • DevForum Top Contributor

• Gold badge awarded July 21st, 2019
  • Featured on DevForum Logo at RDC 2019

• 14th owner of the Admired badge

• Arguably also the first one to own it without a name to myself beyond posting on the DevForum
  • DevForum Post Approval Team Member

• October 25th, 2019 – Present
  • 3rd Top DevForum User

• This is according to the default sort and excludes the Roblox account

• Top 10 achieved November 6th, 2019

• Top 5 achieved February 9th, 2020

• Top 3 achieved May 12th, 2020

• 2nd person to get 1,000 solutions

• Achieved April 28th, 2020

Showcase

Though I don’t typically leave a lot of projects open purely for showcasing and prefer to have any open projects as active projects that are in development, I’ve taken the liberty to drop some screenshots and such about my work.

My showcase is located in a separate thread, which can be found here:

DevForum Participation

I am a very active member of the DevForum. I commonly spend my time in the Scripting Support category, however as of late I have decided to extend my sights towards the entire forum. I enjoy a good discussion, learning new coding techniques and trying to be right. Oh, and grab those green check marks. Come on, who doesn’t like them?

Activity

Last updated: April 18th, 2020

Number of solutions: 1138
Most active category: Scripting Support @ 5993 replies
Favorite thread:

Badges collected:

• Gold: 7/8 (missing: Sage)
  • Silver: 7/8 (missing: Post Approved)
  • Bronze: 10/10

Tutorials & Resources

Medium Articles

None so far. I do plan to try and write for Roblox’s Medium page in the future, though!

Development Commitments

Current Projects

The following table will allow you track what projects I am currently involved in. Commissioners are encouraged to contact me directly, as this table is not a reliable status list; it is mainly intended for public viewership.

Development Projects:

Owner Affiliation Alias Project Role Type Status
Swordphin123 Team Swordphin PWNED 3 Support Developer Accelerator Prospect Active
Administrator_Mr SCPF Universal Head Developer Permanent Active
Diste Teethyz Universal Head Developer Permanent Active
colbert2677 SCP Foundation Universal Head Developer Permanent Active
colbert2677 Independent Zombie Tower Restored Developer Permanent Active

Note: I will always order contracted projects above my own.

Completed Works

Included here are my own projects which I’ve completed and pushed out to production. Works here are defined as full production-ready assets (games, compositions, so on). For a more comprehensive list of my works, accessing my showcase would be the best option.

Works listed here meet one or more of the following criteria:

• Created by myself (as sole developer)
  • Led by myself (either as Project Director or Lead Programmer)
  • Meet the standards of an Alpha release state minimum

[N/A]

Contributions in Projects

The table below will allow you to see what I was formerly involved in. Note that this is by no means a complete list and is not at all representative of my works.

Considering the amount of projects I’m involved in, only my most successful and large-scale projects will be listed. I simply cannot dig up the thousands of things I have contributed towards.

NOTE: 2019 AND UP ONLY. I feel that my past works are not representative of my best work and a portfolio is only meant to demonstrate the best. Previous works would only show my progression which really is only relevant to myself. I also feel that my contributions before 2019 are of low quality.

Owner Affiliation Project Year Role Contributions
N/A

Online Time

As of the end of June, I will be a graduating student and will be available for large time slots. These slots are currently indeterminate.

Collaboration Information

I do not presently render any services, therefore no information on payment or collaboration will be disclosed.

Contact Information

Almost everywhere on the internet, I hold the username “colbert2677”. There are some instances where I am not a “colbert2677” and it’s instead someone who took my username to pose as me, it was taken by coincidence or I used a different name for whatever reason. Always confirm with my primary accounts that it is me before interacting with them.

My primary accounts are listed below.

Roblox: colbert2677
Twitter: @colbert2677
Discord: Colbert#2677*

For business inquiries, please use DevForum PMs for the time being. I do not have any other formal communication route, so here will have to do. I will further establish contact via Discord if necessary.

* For Discord, make sure RoVer is in the server and the account is verified. You can search my groups and join a Discord to check if the colbert2677 account’s roles match my roles in the group, since a false account will not be able to verify or access the same roles I can.

34 Likes

Amazing to see that you are still developing!

6 Likes