Introducing Grass

I am just impressed about how roblox’s graphic progressed. I love this grass, good job to all creators of it!

1 Like

Im impressed by how far the roblox graphics have gotten the last year. Unfortunally, only a few games use the features. Im looking forward to more updates such as this.

2 Likes

You’d think that adding more geometry to a setting would cause more graphics lag. The fact that it apparently increases performance makes me wonder what sort of magic they’ve done in the backend. :thinking:

7 Likes

This what it looks like when i enabled grass.

8 Likes

Damn! This makes future projects, related to vegetation or environmental designing, alot more enjoyable and pleasing to the eye, instead of looking at plain, simple grass textures.

And not impacting performance to users?! Looking at posts, regarding the update, makes Roblox one of the most fun, and enjoyable platform to develop in!

Screenshot of a Recent Project I’m working on:

21 Likes

This grass looks amazing, and i’m surprised that it doesn’t lag my cheap laptop with on graphic 10… but one question I have is that when painting grass releases, can we also paint grass on non-terrains?

very cool. looks epic in my game

21 Likes

I apologize if you’re concerned about the saturation. I was testing a tutorial I found recently regarding an influence of dynamic lighting to make the game 10x more realistic.

1 Like

I’m no expert on this but, I’m pretty sure it’s a simple rendering process which (I’m guessing) does a sin/cos on tick() for adjusting it’s position/orientation every frame.

Also the grass is 2d, so it’s as simple as it gets.

2 Likes

The color scheme along with the models look incredible.

4 Likes

Any thoughts at making it separate from the original “grass” paint option? Possibly a whole new tab for decorations? For example, I dont want tall flowy grass in all areas. I need the tall grass in some areas and original short grass in other areas.

But other than it being a little too tall for my liking and having overflow issues onto other terrains, it does look awesome.

If decoration painting is surely going to happen, I would prefer if all types of materials supported decoration, since I like to use terrain materials in alternative ways. For the time being though, imo leafy grass as a no-decor material is acceptable.

My whole shtick is world-building so it’s not unusual for me to have more than one color of grass. My current unpublished project has three different colors in fact.

5 Likes

Great update! Will definitely be using this in some of my projects! :grinning:

This is a really great feature for games , thank you for doing such a great job on this. plz give the team for this a raise :slight_smile:

Just wanna point you guys towards this:

9 Likes

I love how this is something now on roblox! One issue I am having is having to move my entire layout up and making sure no housing floors or sidewalks have grass sticking out of it. Any easy way to do fix that making it so the grass is not sticking through the floors with out having to move everything around?

3 Likes

This was answered in the post directly above yours. Please read the topic before asking questions!

3 Likes

This is incredible! I showed one of my friends this, and asked them to guess what game it is. He though it was a bad angle of Zelda: Breath of the Wild! This is really impressive! I can’t wait to see more things like this!

1 Like

This looks beautiful! Roblox thank you for this update!

34 Likes

Looks amazing, Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

1 Like