Introducing Improved Genres and New Subgenres

I am a little bit confused why we are getting automatically assigned genres, because it can mess up how our games are seen as to a new player. I do like the new genres but I think you are wrong on horror being a “theme”. Horror is a genre, it is not the style of the game, it is what the game is described as.

4 Likes

agree, also, I would add that putting ‘roblox simulators’ (click incrementor games) in with physics simulation makes zero sense. the clicker(no simulation to be found) games are going to flood that category and make it useless for anything else.

5 Likes

This is a good start but I think Simulation has too many irrelevant subgenres. Idle simulators are completely different to Vehicle Sims, which are completely different to Tycoons.

I propose splitting this genre up into three:

• Idle: Incremental Simulator, RNG
  • Simulation: Physics Sim, Sandbox, Vehicle Sim
  • Tycoon: 2 Player Tycoon, Dropper Tycoon, Business Management
7 Likes

still no wrestling tag for games?

2 Likes

I believe the horror genre is more than just a theme, as whilst it can just be that, it can also be more. A key thing that sets apart the horror genre from other forms of media is how happiness (ie the awesome feeling of power in a power fantasy) is not something it, strictly speaking, cares about. Horror media (not including media that use horror as a mere theme) is all about scaring its audience, whereas most games focus on giving their players dopamine rushes. This focus on creating fear and tension directs gameplay in a certain direction, sometimes in ways that would not work for usual games. Because of this the horror genre should be added to/separated from the current genres. Additionally because horror games usually don’t fit neatly into any other categories, I think for the sake of discoverability it is really important that horror be a genre option, as just regularly searching for it obviously does not work.

2 Likes

While this is a great update for genres in general, I’m not sure how easily up-scaleable this is with such specific genre titles.

I know you stated you would update them to keep it fresh, but even with the current examples I can see a few nit-picky issues.

For example, for a fighting game, the only sub genre would be a Battlegrounds game. Which is a gross generalization. (and kinda insulting personally but thats just because I’ve made fighting games in the past and calling it a “battlegrounds” game feels like pouring ketchup over a gourmet steak but thats neither here nor there)

Furthermore specific genres might dismiss more creative ideas that aren’t able to fit within the given areas. If you’re able to come up with a unique idea, the only way it would show up as a usable genre is if everyone else took your idea and started making a ton of popular games on it. (or the RARE chance your game got popular first, but with the current algorithm I don’t think it would promote an original game to begin with cough cough sorry)

I AM happy that genre’s are being worked on instead of being put on the back burner, but more variety would be appreciated :slight_smile:
It’d really stink if most genre’s were just the “average” roblox game, as shown by sub genres such as battlegrounds, dress up, avatar shopping, tower defense, the survival sub genres, etc etc which all look like they were added because there just happens to be several popular games matching those exact descriptions.

2 Likes

Please help, my PVP game is trapped in a Simulator genre! Just because it says “Simulator” in the name and has an Incremental Simulator aspect to it. But I consider it to be primarily a PVP game. It would be great if I could get 2 genres. But for the short term, I can’t change my genre to PVP so it’s hard for my target audience to find my game right now. Hope this is fixed soon, thanks :v:

1 Like

Is it really a good idea to have country sort? Like?! It feels invasive and pointless and will make people not use the sorts. No kids cares and it will confuse them. It should not be added and focus harder on the actual genres and sub genre sorts/device so its not crammed and confusing…

1 Like

why is horror being thought upon?
it’s literally one of the largest genres, and people love horror games.

there are plenty of educational games, and there’s even a section for them. it only makes sense to make it a genre, as its sole purpose is to educate children on the world and the body.

I don’t see the point of making it a separate genre, they are obbies too.

Great to see this!

I do think the genres are a little confusing. If Education had subgenres (math, language, programming, etc.), Sports & Racing was removed, and its subgenres were moved somewhere else, it would be a little less confusing for me.

1 Like

Hello after Roblox pushed our game into a new unchosen sub genre we noticed a dramatic drop in our player count and DAU, we started noticing directly after this roll out our DAU and CCUs fell by over 23% ( see chart below ) , Has anyone else experienced this?

3 Likes

Our game Yeet A Cow has been dramatically impacted by this change, our player count has massively dropped after being assigned as a “incremental simulator” when it’s a fighting game. We went from a peak of 2600 CCU to about 1300 CCU a week later, after the genre was updated.

2 Likes

Same we got put in that same category and the algorithm hurt us.

A question, would updating our genre revert Similar Experience analytics back to genre?

Recently my game was using the Internal Genre data for my benchmarks, and since my benchmarks were relatively in the 85-97th percentile, the algorithm was consistently putting my game out on Home Recommended and allowing me to get 40k active users daily with 700-800 concurrent.

5-6 days ago the game’s benchmarks were switched to Similar Experiences and forced my benchmarks into the 4th-8th percentile. As a result, Home Recommended no longer recommends the game and the player count has plummeted.

This makes me feel Similar Experiences benchmarking is flawed. So my hope would be that updating our genre would also update our benchmarks to genre-based?

1 Like

One problem, Vehicle Sim is a subgenre under Simulation, while there is also a subgenre called Racing under Sports and Racing. What if the game is a simulation of racing cars, e.g. Assetto Corsa?

1 Like

Valid point. That category is gonna be a mess. With clicker games, tycoons, and simulators. Should be split and not remove “trending in tycoon” section but…