Introducing in-experience Mesh & Image APIs [Studio Beta]

Oh and if you’re wondering: Yes, it can run bad apple (after a good amount of tweaks and read description for disclaimer)

10 Likes

Does EditableMeshes support ShapeCast? Where do you see the vertices of a mesh in a certain area?

1 Like

did you figure out why the offset property doesn’t work?

1 Like

EditableMesh and EditableImage should be seperate topics in my opinion, however I am very excited for the new possibilities brought by EditableMesh, the only issue I have right now is texturing each face (using an rbxassetid). I was hoping for functionality similar to that of like minecraft with their texture atlas, and filtering options like NearestNeighbor algorithm for sharp low resolution textures (16x16, 32x32, 64x64, etc) instead of MIP which smudges and blurs everything that isn’t 1024x1024.

Oh, this is already possible!
To anyone curious (whoever wants to make image editors and such, you can use StudioService:PromptImportFile in conjunction with File:GetTemporaryId, and just simply use AssetService:CreateEditableImageAsync with it.

EDIT: CreateEditableImageAsync doesn’t work with it… major oversight on my part
They did mention in the post though that we will be getting more studio apis in the future so look out for that!!!

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is suppose to be intentional to the design of the mesh API; when creating meshparts with editable meshes I get these weird squares/lines in the coloring that intersect at each vertex, i just use the AddVertex, AddTriangle, and SetVertexColor methods so i’m not too sure what else could be the issue. I have attached a couple example images to show what i mean.

2 Likes

After looking into it much more closely I believe ive found the problem to be the math.noise() function giving values that vary from the expected output which made barely noticeable yet jagged terrain. Managed to make it much less noticeable by making an average height from points around each vertex

Do you guys think it’ll be possible to utilize this feature to allow people to paint onto my wolves?

I’m working on the model, and I’m wondering if this is something that’d be possible.

2 Likes

I want to add to this, I would love to use EditableImages but the feature understandably isn’t ready yet. Support for low resolution images is a must. I really hope we can get an approximate on the release date as this would a game changer for my projects (pun unintended)

1 Like

ImageLabel and ImageButton both support a image resample mode, which you can set to Default, and Pixelated. Its possible to get sharp 2x2 images.

I dont believe there is a way to control it on Decals, MeshParts, or SurfaceAppearances though.

2 Likes

This seems like a issue related to Frustrum culling? Not sure but occlusion culling cant be the issue since they did not even add it to the engine yet.

3 Likes

Will there ever be support for EditableImages and AssetIds in general to recompile SurfaceAppearance shaders during runtime? If this was possible you could make a whole PBR painting system in roblox using EditableImages + SurfaceAppearances!

now you gotta make historically accurate 1993 DOOM in roblox :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

Apologies if this is a silly or naive question, but does this stuff also work 100% client-side?

There are some things I’d like to do with these features that I want to be exclusively on the client for several reasons including:

• Performance
  • Latency
  • Using no bandwidth
  • To not strain the server
  • User preferences

For instance, say I’d want to build some kind of raytracing engine that calculates lighting and bakes to to editable images.
I want the client to be able to customize the resolution and compute all of this locally.

And there’s plenty of special effects or things with procedurally generated meshes I’d like to do exclusively on the client to not strain the server in any way and other clients do not have to see or know it.

I’m not using EditableMeshes but I am making use of EditableImages purely on the client side in a project I’m currently working on, and from what I can tell, it appears to work wonderfully :+1:. This is just personal experience though.

I speculate that they work even better on the client side as opposite to being server-sided, because it would eliminate the need for replication, it will just immediately load the texture data.

1 Like

Bumping this, I ran into the same issue. Looks like EditableMeshes don’t render correctly in viewport frames. @TheGamer101 is this intended/known behavior?

1 Like

Here to report a bug I came across. EditableImages don’t seem to render with a humanoid model ancestor.

The EditableImage is parented to a Decal on a tool.

Also I figured that it renders more like a SurfaceGui rather than a Decal or a texture as the anti-aliasing is non-existent from distances, even though it is parented to a Decal.

5 Likes

Yeah, this is a known issue. We plan to make this work in ViewportFrames before moving out of studio beta.

5 Likes

I will look into this, thanks for the report.

2 Likes

Any chance we can get a recasting function to read Fragment Color from a texture in 3D space instead of just vertex?