Introducing in-experience Mesh & Image APIs [Studio Beta]

There should be some method on all baseparts to get an array of positions of verticies in the object space, this can easily be implemented in EditableMesh by just looping through the verticies and recording their positions, but for other baseparts such as generic shapes, it would be a nice touch and will make certain VFX easier to make.

Will it be possible to bake editedmeshes in studio? I can definitely see a plugin being made for modifying unions directly and being able to bake the union to into a mesh part so its collisions are accurate

1 Like

Iā€™m getting the error ā€œEditableMesh API function not availableā€ when calling EditableMesh methods like EditableMesh:AddColor. Is this a bug or is EditableMesh just not usable for now?

1 Like

They are very new(current update i believe) so you cant call them yet. (maybe if you enable some FFlags it might work?)

Enabled many fflags and still didnā€™t get it to work, it did give me a new error about EditableMesh not even being enabled anymore but I think thatā€™s just my fault for messing around with too many fflags.

Any updates on some bulk operation APIs?

I messed around with :RaycastLocal a bit.

• It hits backfaces(seems weird to me)
  • Thereā€™s no Distance result, would be quite useful. Doing the math to find the distance from intersection point can be quite expensive.
  • The performance doesnā€™t seem greatā€¦ a few hundred raycasts on a mesh with 5k tris and Iā€™m getting 20 fps(potato pc btw)

Can we also get some methods to get the transforms of the mesh such as the Position and Size(bounding box)?

Iā€™d like to report a new bug. For some reason, EditableImages arenā€™t working on my plugin anymore.

I havenā€™t updated the plugin in the past month, and now EditableImages arenā€™t rendering. Seemingly no errors as well. And also still have the beta enabled too

Does your plugin put the EditableImages in CoreGui? If not, where in the DataModel are they?

Yeah, it gets put under CoreGui in a regular ScreenGui

Hi, what is the expected timeframe for a public release?

I mistakenly produced a new feature for my game with editable images as a vital component without realizing it is still in beta. :sweat_smile:

For my usage there have been no issues and I had been able to effectively take use of editable images had this already been released.

Map, dots, and camera frustum are generated using editable images!

8 Likes

We changed how EditableImages are tracked which broke tracking of EditableImages in CoreGui. I will turn off this change on Monday and fix the issue with it soon.

Itā€™s hard to give a concrete timeline, unfortunately, but we are hard at work making the final changes to allow this to be released. For EditableImage, the last change we need to make is allowing EditableImages to be shared by multiple instances. Keep watching this thread for more updates coming soon.

5 Likes

I have a quick question. Now that we have proper ways to do image processing in roblox, i was wondering if there could be any chance we could get something like a StudioService:PromptExportFile() for exporting files? (e.g. .PNG file from an EditableImage, or a .TXT from strings, etc).

This would be extremely useful for some plugins I had planned

2 Likes

how are you still using EditableMesh? can you show some code on how you use it after the API changes because itā€™s still giving me that error.

1 Like

Only some methods are enabled/not locked by roblox currently. The ones that has descriptions in the documentation are 100% enabled, the majority of the api that doesnā€™t have descriptions are disabled since they were added a few updates ago.

Can a Roblox Staff tell us if this is going to be released before Novemeber, or December. At least indicate around what month. I have a game that is 100% dependent on EditableImage, and weā€™ve been waiting for it to be released without any news from anyone.

Also, Itā€™d be very nice to have DrawText function, and if so, is it going to have it as soon as EditableImage gets released?

This is a pretty good idea. I know we plan on there being a way to upload images from EditableImages to the platform from studio plugins, so this might serve the same use case, depending on what it is. I canā€™t promise anything on timeline here and we are more focused on the in-experience use cases currently but I do think that EditableImage will allow for some pretty cool studio plugin use cases.

2 Likes

We want to support text and are investigating the best way to support it, but it is a pretty big technical challenge and wonā€™t be part of the first version of EditableImage.

2 Likes

Will EditableImage be released before November though?
Currently Iā€™ve written my own DrawText function that uses glyph data and vectors to draw text for EditableImage, although, it was pretty difficult it isnā€™t a very big challenge considering you guys already have TextLabel, if it were possible to connect those two thatā€™d be great.

I reverted the change that caused this issue. Sorry for the inconvince caused.

1 Like