Introducing Intersection to Computational Solid Geometry (CSG)

This is definitely a step in the right direction! Roblox is finally adding useful features to studio again!

The negative part probably means it does the opposite of intersect

Use a regular part instead

At least with my testing, I’ve only ever found issues with unions in regards to collision physics. If you weld everything to a custom simple hitbox, it appears to fix it. Though I will agree that this shouldn’t be necessary ideally.

1 Like

bandaid solution is to export unions at obj and reimport

the reason unions lag i think is because they hold the original part data inside them in case they ever need to seperate

2 Likes

i THINK unions are unseperable in runtime because you would have to hold the original part data in every single union in case it’s seperated

this defeats the purpose of removing unnecessary geometry

a property to keep unions seperable at runtime would be a good idea

Even then the geometry is terrible (virtually impossible to fix because for whatever reason either CSG or export splits every single vertice), and shading errors are everywhere. I only use unions in mapping (unioning parts to prevent z-fighting) and importing them as a mesh makes it hard to keep a consistent and modifiable scale

Wish we could delete original part data, not sure how tangible this would be though

1 Like

What do you mean?, This renders the new feature useless.

Roblox tends to visually round the number to 3 decimal places, but I’ve found that the value doesn’t change at all, it’s still the number you typed in… as long as you don’t actually touch it afterward, which will change it.

thats how it used to be before this introduction of intersection, now it just doesn’t let you input the number as 0.0125 at all.

To be honest, I don’t think this will be very useful like the other ones, It feels like a 2.0 of the Union solid modeling tool. This will probably only be used if you want to make more complex models like footballs and mini cactuses. I might make a model about sports if anyone is interested in looking at my models in the creator’s marketplace.

It’s happening to me now, not sure why it only now just started affecting me but I’m frustrated as I’ve always used increments that are 1 divided by a power of 2, and now I can’t do that anymore…

Why did they change this?

@Verystupid_stickman / @MCWither_Storm:

thats how it used to be before this introduction of intersection, now it just doesn’t let you input the number as 0.0125 at all.

It’s happening to me now, not sure why it only now just started affecting me but I’m frustrated as I’ve always used increments that are 1 divided by a power of 2, and now I can’t do that anymore…
Why did they change this?

This issue is not related to the Intersect. It just happened to go out at the same time. We have let the appropriate team know, a bug has been filled and the team is working on resolving the issue

1 Like

At least I was able to make this with the intersect tool, took a little while to figure it out but I hope you guys like it!

7 Likes

I tried to make an updated version of the classic spray paint gear but it seems that runtime intersections have problems with decals being placed on them.

The resulting intersection for both ingame and instudio appear the same but the ingame does not display the decal correctly.

1 Like

It also does not work well on the other solid modeling tools so I’m not surprised if that happens with the intersection tool as well.

2 Likes

@FGmm_r2 Any updates when client sided CSG will be released? :pray:

3 Likes

Sorry for the very late response, i haven’t encountered this issue ever since reporting it so i think it was just a weird fluke on my end

3 Likes

Great feature! Could we maybe get an exclude functionality with this as well? It’s basically the opposite from intersection. The touching parts will be removed from the final shape. It would have the same effect as subtracting the intersection of the parts from a duplicate of the parts. With this feature, the family would be fully complete.

1 Like

What does intersection do? Does it squish parts together or something else. How do i use it and what do i need it for

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.