Introducing: Plugin Marketplace!

Sign me up! I’ve got some awesome ideas that would be great for this.

I think this overlooks the original thought behind having free models, yes, I can appreciate that making a plugin isn’t the same and in almost every case, it involves significantly more time/effort. But, it just leaves the door open to what else is there to sell-off?

Unlike the thumbnail of a model, shirt, t-shirt, pants, what you see isn’t necessarily what you’ll be getting. However, the same can be said for paid access games.

2 Likes

You make a paid plugin because it’s supposed to be only for people who pay for it…
I don’t see why Roblox shouldn’t “attempt” or at least “try” hiding the source / obfuscating it??

Why do we have to obfuscate our plugins sources if they’re supposed to be “paid” and “private” I don’t think this system is really that useful if we have to go out of our way to protect our sources just because Roblox doesn’t do so when they’re supposed to…

I’m strongly against monetizing development especially because plugins not only have to be regularly updated, but they’re also non-refundable and they come with no warranty or preview. Not only can the feature be abused later on, but I believe it can be very discouraging for new developers.

5 Likes

Oh well. Maybe the development team will take my idea and do it automatically for paid plugins.

1 Like

It simply wouldn’t work on decals.

Not gonna lie, the idea of buying plugins in my opinion is bad.

3 Likes

One of the reasons why we should consider obfuscating our plugin sources is because what if people buy a plugin and then decide to reupload it for free or maybe for a lower price than the original. Alot of people would probably choose the free/less expensive version. And that version would be benefiting of a stolen asset and could even come with malicious code.

Even then, if a nice plugin comes out after your trial ends, ultimately, you’re at a loss. Plugins are meant to be additional functionality within studio. In simple terms: Expanded Versatility.

If you put a price tag on expansion, you’re at the mercy of default Roblox Studio and it’s tools. While Roblox Studio can be all you need, I can’t imagine F3X, Moon Animation Suite or others staying free which puts developers who rely on those tools at a loss.

This feature isn’t entirely bad as it’ll give developers more incentive to create higher quality plugins which could, hopefully, up the quality of the games we see today. Most of the plugins on the library page are direct copy of existing plugins and if the plugins page could be wiped, refreshed and uphold higher standards, more developers would have faith in it.

2 Likes

I mean as much as i am against this, i have a feeling developers will upload “Lite” or “test” versions of their plugins just like some app developers do (which is good). However, i just see these as a tool for people who don’t want to pay to get the source and upload/edit it for themselves.

Every plugin i currently use/have used (and liked) is backed up on my computer. If one of the developers decides to make their plugin paid then i have zero incentive to actually purchase it unless i am making the choice to support that developer. I have the robux to spend so i don’t mind, others not so much. All it takes is one person to make some sort of plugin repository where they re-upload paid plugins for people to install locally. The fact this wasn’t addressed makes this seem rushed.

When i download an app to my phone it asks me to confirm certain permissions that the app will be accessing. Contacts, camera, saved files and whatever else, a system like this, along with hiding the source of modules so we actually know what is being ran whilst not having access to the source should be a priority. Maybe even some sort of trusted seller marketplace.

Edit: @ProspektNova ignore the reply

5 Likes

How does that solve people reuploading the plugin and using it for free. Obfuscating the code just makes it harder to reverse engineer. Most people just want to reupload it so they can spread it allowing others to use it for free.

3 Likes

You’re right about the fact that it would only delay people. But what I mean is that before making it so we can pay for plugins, there should be ways to protecting the source.
I personally wont make any of my plugins payware, but some other people may want to, and they may want to benefit from their plugins; so I think that for them, there should be a way to protect the code. But at the same time, there should be something that allowed us to know that no malicious code is inside a plugin, or atleast that they cant execute it.
One solution i’d see to this is what Berezaa proposed: which is to add permisions (Introducing: Plugin Marketplace! - #20 by berezaa). This way people would have to accept certain permisions for the plugin to be able to access certain things. But I do think we need options, I think there should be a way to select if you want your code hidden or not, because I do know some people want their things to be opensource.
As I said in a post before; depending on how “hiding the source” is handled, it could maybe become a privatemodule 2.0, where you’re using something but dont know if it could be full of malicious code or not. I do think that this type of implementations should be consulted (to some degree) with the dev community beforehand.

1 Like

You don’t have to pay for plugins you already own that go up for a price.

EDIT: Spelling

In the future, will there be a Limit Value for Plugins and Clothing Sales in the Catalog? also applies to Items created in Roblox.

In Selling Game Access, we should add a Limit Value of this, which could create up to 1000 Robux at the most.

However, there are many Outfits that are Absurd Values! Each Creator has rights to add any Value they want, but you should create a Limit of that too, this will help a lot.

Have you ever wondered why creating your clothes, why are other clothes so expensive?

Clothes, Plugins, Items and T-Shirts should add Limit values
Examples:

• Pant = Minimum Value of 4 Robux and Maximum Value of 100 Robux
  • Shirt = Minimum Value of 8 Robux and Maximum Value of 125 Robux
  • T-Shirt = Minimum Value of 4 Robux and Maximum Value of 30 Robux
  • Item = Minimum Value of 1000 Robux and Maximum Value of 10.000,000 Robux (Note: It depends on the items and their values.)
  • Plugin = Minimum Value of 25 Robux and Maximum Value of 1000 Robux

It could be well organized, in my opinion.

1 Like

No you don’t. For example, I have Quenty’s Class Converter and I can still install it, because it’s in my inventory. Right now it’s 999 R$, but it was previously free.

Ever since this update last night, I’ve been getting this dialog upon opening Roblox Studio.

This is a list of plugins I have installed, including Rojo, Tag Editor, among other things (most of which aren’t paid plugins).

When I open up a place, all of these plugins seem to load with no issue, so it seems benign. It’s really annoying getting this dialog every time I open studio though.

I think selling plugins is simply just a bad idea, and just makes it harder to be able to get any. not to mention that this will lead to scammers making a corrupt or fake plugin just to get your robux that cant be refunded, or the buyer gambling on buying a plugin not knowing rather it still works or is broken, i have to play that game with free plugins, buying them just makes it harder.

4 Likes

i also have been getting this dialog upon opening Roblox Studio

Even if Roblox solved this, they’d likely just go to github to share like they do Unity.
Edit to avoid double posting:

If somebody buys a plugin from you, the consumer should get full source code access to the plugin. This is pretty standard on every other marketplace. You’re selling code yet wanting them to not be able to view it. “You can drive a car but no wait! you can’t look in the engine”

The problem here is you aren’t balancing the pov of developer vs consumer. Why should people be forced to make their assets free on the platform? Why should their time and effort always be free? Why would your desire to not pay a dime for quality tools outweigh the decision of the creator?

2 Likes

Each plugin would have its own free-trial. If a new plugin is released, then you should be able to activate a free trial when you download it.