Introducing Premium Payouts!

Roblox is trying to encourage developers to create more f2p games, as well as supporting f2p games so that they can focus on player retention - not monetization.

This is similar to what YouTube does (to an extent), the longer people watch your videos, the better your video does.

2 Likes

I never advocated it… find where I said they should remove it… I said Roblox SHOULD advocate paid access games, and thus give them the same features as free to play, as paid access games tend to have more effort put into them (not all, but most)

I shouldn’t be forced to make my game free just for a feature that should be allowed for everyone

3 Likes

So by encouraging free to play games, they’re encouraging people buying premium… Like I said before, it’s a hell of a lot cheaper to buy access to a game than to buy Premium

4 Likes

You have got to be kidding me, many MANY paid access games have many things to buy in them. Your 25 robux for 8 cent entry argument is invalid because you can’t just buy 25 robux. Roblox is not making pathetic excuses, that just seems sassy.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this was caused by premium payouts, but the website and the Premium Upsell Modal all say I’m already subscribed to premium and the billing page says it expires tomorrow, but the leaderboard and Player.MembershipType say I don’t have premium. Could this be related to the premium payouts? This is preventing use of any in-game premium features.

Edit: It seems that closing the modal saying I am already subscribed causes the Player.MembershipType to change to premium.

This is a good idea. though, other developers could exploit it.

4 Likes

You should receive a bonus commission if a user buys Premium in your game. I find a small incentive to do this, as I want anyone to access games I produce. Free to play always works better than pay to play.

4 Likes

I kinda like this, but dont know if i would even get anything from this if the only game i technically have is a homestore :confused:

2 Likes

If cafes, clubs can manage to convince players to remain in the server for a long period of time than the same is accomplishable by clothing groups. What needs to be determined first is how long a premium player has to stay in the server and how many players = 1 robux.

The screenshot above gives us two possibilities - 5 points is greater then 5 or it’s less then 5 instead of equivalent to 5. I honestly feel as if Roblox purposely made the following information vague enough to where it’s easily to misinterpret and rely on a logical standpoint because from a logical standpoint equal or greater than would be likely to occur over less as robux is traditionally calculated in full numbers rather then decimals.

2 Likes

Would there be some sort of bonus for us, if more people buy Premium Because Of Our game?

1 Like

Can’t complain, it’s extra Robux for very little effort on the developer’s side - but is there any active benefit to promoting premium purchases in your game aside from just increasing the amount of players in your game who have a premium membership? i.e, if someone buys premium via a prompt in your game do you get a bonus from that?

3 Likes

premium payouts seems like a great idea

4 Likes

It’s more-so compensation for attracting players to the website with your game(s).

4 Likes

It seems that a developer would be profiting more if they were to promote their own gamepass/developer product, instead of promoting premium. Unless developers get some sort of commission, I don’t see many developers promoting purchase of premium in their game for a small return every month.

7 Likes

This sounds pretty interesting. Thanks, Roblox. Finally, a good update.

5 Likes

When is the graph supposed to update? Mine is stuck on 2/16/2020 → 2/17/2020.

9 Likes

You could look at it this way: Roblox just gave us free advice for succeeding on the platform. What I mean is they have resources and money to do market research. They’ve figured out that free to play games are hugely popular and a profitable business model. Why? People don’t want to pay .99 cents for an app, but they will spend $200 a year in a “free” app. I think it’s ridiculous but true about human nature.

I was playing with the idea of charging R25 for entry into my game just to cut down on bots… Roblox just made the final decision for me. (but I still eagerly await them killing these bots :robot:)

4 Likes

I’m excited this feature is out after being teased at RDC 2019. Everybody’s eyes lit up and excitement filled the room at the prospect of earning more Robux for playtime.

Playtime for premium users is a smart way to encourage Roblox’s monetization strategy and doubles as a combat against botting as others have suggested.

The wording of the OP is a bit confusing on what is earned depending on what. I will showcase numbers of 3 games I had the ability to look into. I will be comparing numbers and ratios which have big implications for how much Robux is earned for playtime.

Note: I do not know how the variable “Premium Playtime Score” is calculated, but I do know, the higher that number is, the better it is for earnings. I will display stats that show that this number is not in a linear relationship with how much Robux is earned.

(Crudely estimated weekday concurrents for the games)
Game1: around 50 (valley)-150 (peak)
First plotted Premium Playtime Score: 25.45
Projected Robux earned: 200 / plot (thinking the plots are daily)

Ratio: 200 / 25.45 = 7.9 estimated Robux earned per Playtime Score

Game2: Concurrents around 200 - 700.
First plotted Premium Playtime Score: 199.63
Projected Robux earned: 1677 / plot

Ratio: 1677 / 199.63 = 8.4 estimated Robux earned per Playtime Score

Game3: Concurrents around 2,000 - 3,000
First plotted Premium Playtime Score: About 796
Projected Robux earned: 9880 / plot

Ratio: 9880 / 796 = 12.4 estimated Robux earned per Playtime Score

The differences in these ratios show that this system is disproportionately favoring games with higher premium playtime scores. For example, if the 1st game was to receive the same ratio as the 3rd game, it would have earned 315 Robux instead of 200, a 57% increase.

I had originally thought the ways to improve your premium playtime score would be

1. Get more premium players to play
  2. Get more premium players to play longer and more often

This is showing that it is not a linear relationship. I am unable to see the benefit of making this a disproportionate system. Instead for example, the Robux earned per premium playtime score should be a fixed ratio to the premium playtime score. Though, that could then be abused by the algorithm creators behind the scene just by editing the way that number is retrieved to be non linear. This entire thing needs more explanation, as darkness is not a good way to foster a developer community. How will these ratio discrepancies be reconciled?

Disclaimer: These are numbers based on one day’s sample size of only 3 games. I will be keeping an eye on these ratios.

Edit: This has been talked about and confirmed

26 Likes

Did I?.. Haha, I didn’t realize that. Thanks for pointing that out, I guess.

4 Likes

This is awesome.
I wanna see more features like this.
:+1:

5 Likes