Introducing R. Ranny (easy api lookup within discord)

What is R. Ranny
R. Ranny, short for Robot Ranny, is a simple discord bot that (pretty decently?) communicates with Roblox’s Developer Hub to quickly query results from the API Reference.

Why?
For people like me, who either help out in roblox scripting servers, or just hate having to waste extra mouse clicks, R. Ranny is a quick and easy tool you can use to get a list of references for the topic you’re looking for.

Examples:

The best part is, it doesn’t need any excessive permissions, I only require the permissions my bot needs. I’ll be linking the source code if there is anybody skeptical of it.

Notes:
There is no guild customization, I’m still messing around with multiple languages and I don’t feel like implementing a database so I’ll stick with JSON.
Report command isn’t finished so dont use it, nothing will happen.
This is my third discord bot, so please feel free to leave recommendations.
I plan to implement any recommendations you guys recommend.
BOT IS DOWN RIGHT NOW, MIGRATING TO LOCAL SERVER
Wanna try it yourself?

5 Likes

How is it fetching Roblox API?

I quite literally only know a few things about web servers and web development and general so it really a research process.

I knew that whenever you search for a term, roblox has to make some communication to its database to search for that value.

A few google searches told me that these are GET requests and a few more showed me how to use inspect element to see where these requests are going.

A few minutes later about tinkering w/ python & I got it going.

1 Like

There’s no source code to be viewed, therefore making this not a resource. You need to have that posted at the time of posting.

Resources have to include source code? Didn’t know that, I meant to upload it just as a tool for anyone to use but I’ll post the source code later or maybe just the relevant part.

It’s pretty clear in the information about the category.

“free or open-source”

Sorry to rain on your parade but by definition this should still be a resource. Not sure why you’re complaining about it in the first place.

I think he’s trying to steal the source code.

Because he said it’s clear that it needs to be open source but it said free or open-source

All resources have to be open-source, it’s legit stated there in the rules.

Why would I need the source code for something I can make myself in 20 minutes? This is the resource category where numerous people view. Do you know the rules?

Uhh are you blind? It said “open source or free”

And it’s free.

If it wasn’t free then yes, it needs to be open source

But it’s free .

2 Likes

I would recommend looking at this http://setup.roblox.com/version-HASH-API-Dump.json (You get the latest hash from http://setup.roblox.com/versionQTStudio (things after version-)) if you haven’t already!

And ReflectionMetadata.xml (example: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/CloneTrooper1019/Roblox-Client-Tracker/roblox/ReflectionMetadata.xml)

1 Like