Introducing RLTime: Real-Time Lighting & Time Simulation

I’m excited to introduce RLTime, the resource that will transform your games to a new level of immersion by bringing real-world lighting to your creations. Whether you’re creating immersive worlds or simply want to add a touch of realism to your projects, RLTime is here to help.

Key features:

• Accurate Real-World Lighting: RLTime replicates the natural lighting phases of a given location, including day, golden hour, sunset, twilight, night, sunrise, and morning golden hour.

• Accurate Sun Position: RLTime mimics the real world sun position, including solar noon, sunset, and sunrise.

• Custom Location Settings: RLTime lets you enter a location to simulate lighting and sun position based on real-world data.

• Realistic Moon Phases: RLTime also replicates the real-world moon phases, adding even more depth to your game’s environment.

• Day and Night Cycles: With RLTime, you can implement 24-hour realistic day and night cycles effortlessly.

• Customization: RLTime lets you change the properties of the lighting phases, allowing for more scenic and realistic lighting. You can also change the moon phase textures.

Please do not enter your specific location into RLTime. Instead, use the location of a major city or state.

How to Get Started:

• To get started, add RLTime to studio, you can get it here: https://create.roblox.com/marketplace/asset/14476649265/RLTime

• After adding RLTime to studio, simply follow the instructions found inside the RLTime folder.

• I recommend using this sky while using RLTime. While other skies can work, I designed the default lighting for RLTime with this skybox.

Pictures:

I did not make the map used in the pictures, it’s the “Roblox - Realistic Forest Demo”, I’ve only added RLTime. The original game is uncopylocked for anyone to edit.

These are some of the default lighting settings for RLTime

Day

Afternoon Golden Hour

Twilight

Sunrise

That’s pretty much it, have fun using RLTime!

79 Likes

The lighting looks good!
I might reccomend adding a magnitude 2 blur just to smooth everything out a bit, but that’s a matter of taste!
Cool resource :+1:

6 Likes

Amazing job! Keep it up! I’ll try and use it for my game!

3 Likes

that looks AMAZING! definitely would use that.

2 Likes

v1.0.1 Update:

• fixed a bug when transitioning between sunrise and morning golden hour
  • added version number at the end instructions
  • added more stuff to original devfourm post

v1.0.2 Update:

• tweaks to some lighting phases
1 Like

This is amazing! Thank you so much! Will 100% use this in my game!

I’m unsure if this affects performance, if it does, then would you add the ability to disable it (for low end devices)

also this is cool ngl

also I like how you can sync your own time

1 Like

Added this to my game, I love the effects, and how clean the code and overall hierarchy is, really well polished!

1 Like

v1.1.2 Update:

• Added automatic time zone offset

Previously, users were required to enter the UTC offset for their location. With this update, that step is eliminated. Now, you can simply enter the coordinates of a location, and the time of day will automatically sync.

This should make setup a lot easier

Let me know if anyone has suggestions or bugs for me to fix

I don’t understand what I should enter in the Lattitude and Longitude StringValues, can anyone help?

You should probably google what those two mean if you don’t know.

1 Like

How long does the cycle take with this module?
And between what clocktimes is the different lightingsettings?

2 Likes

its a 24 hour cycle that mimics the real world lighting for the entered location

the duration of each lighting phase fluctuates like how the real world lighting phases do (example: the real-world sunset is not always at the same time every day)

sorry for any confusion

Okay, thank you so much for the reply and this module. It’s pretty cool :smiley:

1 Like

I love how visually pleasing it is and how smoothly it changes at each time of the day.
As contradictory to what this thread is all about, is it possible to have an option for Real-Time and Game-based time?

This is Super good for me and my friend but there is a problem:

• We need to make it Always Start Day When a server is created
  • We need to make it Faster than Real Time.

I don’t want to break script so, can you tell us a way to make it?