Introducing the Ban API and Alt Account Detection

any request made in studio will not process to live servers

1 Like

This is the only thing I wondered. Would it only detect that specific user’s ip or would it affect others too?

Other than that this is really good, I moderate for a game before and someone was using an alt generator or whatever the hell he called it I forgot. It was a pain to deal with due to how quick he can just get back on the game using different alts with join date from 2010. I hope this type of issues can be dealt with if anyone happen to meet someone with this type of exploit.

1 Like

Alt account detection probably takes advantage of a combination of the account’s email/phone, IP addresses, browser cookies, specs, etc. to make a fingerprint and profile each user.

3 Likes

This is such a great update: cannot wait to try it out!

1 Like

i have been waiting for this for like 3 months W roblox

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused, no matter what duration I set it always says “1 minutes”, I assume it’s because the api is new?

2 Likes

why are newline characters allowed in ban notes (the prompt scales depending on screen size) but still completely disallowed in kick messages?

note both of these use the exact same ‘reason’:
a\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\na

kick msg:

ban note:

scaling video: Watch 2024-06-26 06-00-43 | Streamable (video is too large to upload here)
if we could get newlines re-enabled on kick messages, it would be nice :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I agree with Daw558 on this matter, banning is supposed to be secure in the first place and sometimes the filter can be a bit restrictive.

2 Likes

whats the config ur using?? its perm if u dont specify it

1 Like

Yeah! and its not working ive done some testing that should be clear its a obvious alt account same email, ip, hwid, etc and the alt account has not been banned at all

1 Like

After testing this out with a friend, it’s practically useless. I had him test out 8 alts, only two of them were detected. This was on the same PC, same Roblox client, same HWID, same IP. No spoofers or account managers or anything. Nothing was changed, he simply logged out of one account and logged in with another.
Meanwhile a simple lua alt detector I wrote caught all 8 of them…

My theory on how it works is that it operates similar to how they track for ban waves. It takes a bit of pattern usage before it links alts together. The only alts detected were those that were regularly logged into, while the ones that don’t get frequently used went completely undetected despite being on the same PC. Which is completely useless when most troll alts sit in cold-storage until they’re needed. I imagine it’s completely simple to bypass given it doesn’t even work when we’re not even trying to bypass it…

I had him create a fresh alt and join immidiately after… the alt made it in completely undetected. It’s clear that this system requires heavy habitual use of the alt accounts before they get picked up.

These ‘anti-cheat’ measures are rather ineffective sadly. Banwaves for 1-day, alt-account detection that doesn’t work, usermode anti-tamper that gets bypassed by free cheats. While it’s a nice sentiment it’s all just rather toothless.

3 Likes

it uses seconds, anything under 60 seconds will default it to 1 minutes

1 Like

slight grammatical error, api unusable

2 Likes

This is also something I take issue with, particularly since it just doesn’t reflect who’s actually banning the player in lots of cases (moderators/staff of the game do, not necessarily the developers).

rest in peace the bullyfacemen

Oh that makes sense, I didn’t think it would round the number to minutes haha

Actually I’ve been putting duration that rounds up to 1 minute which is why it was displaying 1 minute lol, my bad

What about the people who have multiple accounts for developing etc???

Why would this update negatively affect you if you have alts for developing, as long as you don’t get your account banned on some games nothing will happen to your alts.

This looks like code generated by ChatGPT lol