Introducing the Ban API and Alt Account Detection

Yeah. If you hardcoded reasons, there is no reason to filter it since you already done it yourself. As for dynamic messages written by moderators, that should be developer’s responsibility to run it through text filter before supplying it into the ban async method, just like custom chat. Hopefully this is reverted before this behavior is relied on.

4 Likes

I’ve been tinkering around with this for a little bit and have noticed that every time I have banned my main account, my alt account stays unbanned no matter what. Nothing has changed except for the browser that the account is logged in on. Tried it on two fresh accounts incase it had something to do with the IP that the account was created on; still nothing.

game.Players:BanAsync({
    UserIds = { 300411622 }, 
    Duration = 1000, 
    DisplayReason = "Testing", 
    PrivateReason = "test ban"
})
1 Like

I’m curious how this handles having been logged into a couple of friends’ accounts before. If I had done something bad on another account and had gotten banned from an experience, would my friends (who had done nothing wrong, and own their accounts) be banned too? I know Roblox tracks every IP address that has ever accessed an account ever.

That’s huge! Finally an actual ban api for the release instead of having to rely on the old basic kick command.

1 Like

YES AT LAST! :partying_face:

We might be able to stop maintaining our ban database and just let Roblox handle it.

Now just hoping that the open cloud api’s rate limits are good enough so that our Discord Bot can continue to provide information on player bans. :pray:

1 Like

Hope 99% of hackers disappear after this!

1 Like

Thank you Roblox for improving our abilities to moderate our experiences. It has been extremely annoying seeing my game’s moderators ban exploiters just to find them return in newly created accounts so I am looking forward to using the alt exclusion feature.

1 Like

More like zero because Alt Accounts aren’t getting flagged for some reason…?

2 Likes

It should be a popup screen on the game’s page when they try to join, having it in the game’s join button looks terrible.

2 Likes

This is actually a really good feature! (BTW, you ARE able to ban yourself.)

This is a great addition, been waiting on the ban API for a long time - automatic alt detection is a nice surprise to go with it!

Anyone have any idea on how they’re detecting alts?
IP based? If I ban someone, do I have to worry about it banning their whole household and not just that individual?

1 Like

That’s perfect!!! It will be so much useful now

Troll? Crikey mate, I’m bloody serious! Let’s drop the trolling and return to the topic at hand.

Cheers!

equally, there has to be SOME form of grace period of sorts, otherwise people would be getting banned for accounts they made years prior
I do think its only like this:
Main gets banned → alt gets banned, and not alt/other acc gets banned → main gets banned, but time will tell on how roblox will handle this, although I feel like they wont handle it well in classic roblox fashion.

1 Like

I’ve tested the feature before, and let me say this is incredible and it’ll help with future projects that require moderation! However, I kind of noticed a major flaw with this, so while I was testing the ban API, figuring out how it works and whatnot, I decided to ban myself from my game as a test ban. However, I’m completely unable to unban myself as there’s no option to do so through the Creator Hub, and I’m unable to join banned, so the UnbanAsync() function won’t work. Will there be a fix for that soon?

1 Like

Hi, I have a small nitpick.

Dont get me wrong this is all amazing and wonderful however I do have a situation.
In my experience, Pulse RP, I have a unique ban system. When a user is banned from my game, they arent removed from the game. Rather my scripts make it so no one can see the banned user, and the chat is removed on the banned users client.

This BanAPI is wonderful as Alts are absolutely the biggest issue in pretty much every experience, however, it immediately removes everyone from the game that it finds.

Could there be an additional setting to this where it simply lets you know a user was banned and lets us handle it on our side? Im sure some developers would appreciate that small option.

Either way, HUGE!

6 Likes

Great update! Was wondering if there are plans to expand the functionality to private server bans?

yep, but I am glad I discovered the “1 minutes” issue…

after i checked the api ban on myself (without duration, used developer console), i can no longer unban myself in any way.

i tried to unban myself through the studio, it didn’t help
then my friend decided to try to unban me in the game itself via the developer console too, but also nothing has happened.
i’m not quite sure if this is a problem on our side or on roblox’s side.

2 Likes