Introducing the Maximum Framerate setting

Are you able to go into the nuances at all? I’ve used a framerate unlocker on Windows for either 4 or 5 years now and haven’t noticed anything obviously wrong while doing so. Was there something under the hood we would have not noticed?

22 Likes

What about some of the most common monitor refresh rates, such as 75, 165, 170, 244 or even 360? Also, why not 30 or UNLIMITED FPS option like ALL games do? What’s the point of putting only 4 options, duh…

16 Likes

I don’t know the details too well, but from my very rough understanding Windows monitors are really inconsistent about actually communicating their refresh rate to other programs, whereas on other platforms they are much more consistent to the point where we’d much rather start defaulting to that as the maximum framerate. But I am ultimately not too sure…these are memory fragments from conversations had a few months ago :stuck_out_tongue:

I have seen this come up a few times on Twitter too. What’s the use case for making your framerate lower? Someone mentioned testing their code for lower framerates which feels reasonable, but I’m not sure what the other cases are.

29 Likes

For bad PCs, I usually prefer having stable 30 FPS than very unstable 40-50. It’s just way better to have a consistent frame rate.

30 Likes

As someone using a 165hz monitor, the specific presets are a bit annoying. Would love to see support for a full range of max frame rates.

20 Likes

I brought up testing as a use case. The only other one I can think of is saving battery on portable devices. The Valve Steam Deck and ASUS ROG Ally offer framerate limiters, as an example. How they do that and if Roblox plays well with them is not something I am familiar with, though.

23 Likes

Agreed, I have a 74hz monitor which is not far off from 60 and is probably in the minority of gaming monitors, but I would still like to see my refresh rate listed.

19 Likes

Nice🔥 This is so good update, maybe the best update in settings so far.

15 Likes

Provided you use a number inside the brackets, wait is based on seconds rather than frames. Use a small decimal number as a quick fix / alternative to wait()

13 Likes

Having a 30fps cap option would be very useful for me since I have a weak laptop that can’t keep a consistent 60fps on higher graphics quality but can mostly keep a consistent 30fps (tested when the official fps unlocker had a 30fps option).

15 Likes

Yippee! Finally, after such a long time it’s here.
I’ve been wanting this for ages, considering my computer can easily run Roblox with over 600+ FPS.

I bought a high refresh rate monitor to benefit of high frame rates.
And I can finally now also use it in Roblox, so glad!

Oh also, don’t forget to change this setting or else your higher frame rate won’t work.

26 Likes

Amazing, long overdue. This is sweet, although 360hz is already fairly common and should be supported.

16 Likes

Perhaps add a custom framerate option? I tend to run roblox on 90 FPS because its smooth enough and doesnt cause much stutters. Took a long while to add this, but as others say, better late than never.

Also, might be irrelevant but when will we be able to attach function or anything to actual physics pre/post-process (since engine runs at 240 Hz while presimulation/postsimulation runs i think at relatively same step rate as your framerate)

15 Likes

Physics also runs at your framerate, but it will rerun to hit 240Hz. That is, if you run at a consistent 60Hz, then physics also runs at 60Hz, but every time it does, it will run 4 times.

13 Likes

I absolutely support the custom frame rate setting.
There’s no setting that exactly matches my monitor’s refresh rate.

Setting FPS too low prevents me from using my monitor’s capabilities and setting FPS too high makes the GPU use more power and generates excessive heat.

13 Likes

This is a pretty good update! However it makes moving your camera in studio slower, is this planned to be fixed?

8 Likes

Can you see if this happens with “New Studio Camera Controls” beta feature turned on? It should make your camera faster without it, if anything.

9 Likes

YAYYYYY :happy4:
NOW RENDERING FRAMES WILL BE SMOOTHER, TYYY SO MUCH!

8 Likes

I feel like mobile support is neded more than mac because Mac is just capped at 60 hz anyways. Most new gen phones like Iphone Pro max can go to 120 hz and S24 as well and like some gaming phones that go to 144hz

12 Likes

The feature is turned on, but you can even try it yourself. The camera sensitivity is somehow dependent on FPS

11 Likes