Introducing the Maximum Framerate setting

THANK YOU ROBLOX! This was a much needed feature, and over the years I’ve always wondered why Roblox never implemented this sooner, but I’m glad it’s hear now. Better late than never

8 Likes

Can you file a bug report? Unsure if you have access but I might be able to get it for you if you don’t. I’m not quite sure how to reproduce this and making the camera framerate independent in the beta feature was an important piece of it…I’m even the one who brought that concern up when it was being drafted :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

this is genuinely the equivalent of “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind”. such a small step in inproving roblox, making it better for years. definitiely one of the best updates roblox has brough this year, and i hope to see more quality updates like this.
I can’t express the frustration I had, that I needed to always use a 3rd party application in order to be able to have a smooth experience while playing roblox.
I know roblox is currently also trying to make sure the roblox experience is good on low end devices, but I’m hoping roblox will soon make a lot more updates for high end devices as well, and get the same love as they do, in terms of roblox focusing on making more quality updates.

One thing i’d like to mention, is that i’d love seeing better shadows in roblox.
here’s an example of current roblox shadows quality/aspect ratio:

(very pixelated)

and here’s an example of old roblox shadows quality/aspect ratio:
(a lot less pixelated)

With this said, if roblox is starting to make some quality of life updates for higher end devices, i think it’s the time we also get some higher quality shadows based on your graphics level.

23 Likes

I don’t have access to post in bug reports, but I can file one if I can get those permissions. It might be worth noting it was bugged like this even before this was a official feature.

8 Likes

This is a great update! Roblox players are wanting this so many time!

6 Likes

You should now have access to post bug reports. Thank you for the tip!

6 Likes

this is genuinely the best thing I couldve seen today.

However, I would very much enjoy a custom FPS option, I understand if this is not possible with the current implementation but I still believe it’d be a worthy endeavour to pursue in the future.

9 Likes

Would really like support on Mac asap as I want to get a 120hz Mac soon.

I already have an iPhone with 120hz, so getting this on iPhone would be a nice thing to have too.

Also I have a question about RenderStepped, Stepped, and Heartbeat. Are those going anywhere? I remember when PostSimulation and PreRender were added to the API, the older RunService events were deprecated but they are back now. I have this question because I noticed the documentation is the same for them, and whats the difference between them?

11 Likes

Nice, really good update overall. Though any plans to offer the ability to entirely remove the framerate cap or set a custom framerate? People like myself still often have to rely on third party software in order to go past 240 fps. Personally i mostly need to go past 240 fps to benchmark my places.
Also a small minority still has some nieche refresh rates on their displays (like 360hz) so having an “Unlimited” option or similar would help them too.

7 Likes

Thank you! I filed a bug report here: Studio camera sensitivity is dependent on FPS

10 Likes

about time they added this, better than never though.

5 Likes

Not all Macs are capped to 60hz, that’s like saying all PC monitors are too. There are a lot of MBPs which support refresh rates up to 120hz, so an fps option on them would be nice as well.

7 Likes

Unrelated, but your code samples use the (not fully) documented PostSimulation event. Is this functionally the same as Heartbeat? How do they differ and what was the need for it?

5 Likes

When I made the commit on GitHub to update all the docs to the new RunService events there were comments made regarding this topic. You can view the closed/merged pull request here:
RunService New Events by CadeusTheGreat · Pull Request #328 · Roblox/creator-docs (github.com)

4 Likes

Witness history
After nearly countless years of waiting, we’re finally waiting:

2 Likes

It’d be nice to have the list include the current system refresh rate and fractions thereof down to some minimum. Eg 150 hz display would offer 150, 150/2=75, 150/3=50 so you can optimize between the display and PC capabilities.

6 Likes

Finally, is also mean that a players with low fps walk a same speed like another. Nice
PS: No, players with low fps walk slowly than they should

1 Like

This is great news!

I’ve been wanting this for a really long time, not due to needing more fps, but the game slowing down over time. I don’t know if you are aware that, for some reason, the engine slows down or skips frames, which is my case and some people I know. It seems a bit random and performance ranges from stable to just crashing the game, thus needing custom client settings or software to bypass this nuisance.

Still, you guys are doing a great job with user experience! Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Saw on a post before stating this worked in studio, but it is not working for studio. Is this live client only?

1 Like

It should work in Studio, but you will need to change your setting within the play solo mode.

2 Likes