Introducing the Maximum Framerate setting

I am completely with you that users need more control, it would be cool to be able to change the rendering engine for Roblox, however in reality only Direct3D 10 and 11 are meant to be used on Windows (maybe OpenGL too). So unless Roblox optimizes Vullcan for Windows we probably won’t get this option anytime soon. In my opinion, Roblox should remove support for Direct3D10 and support Direct3D12 and also optimize Vullcan for Windows and then give us the option to change the rendering engine.

I agree with having an option to disable optimized fullscreen, I have an older PC that actually have weird display glitches and flickers with optimized fullscreen and disabling it fixes the issue.

Yes, Roblox should honestly enable the FFlag “DFFlagDisableDPIScale” for everyone since this FFlag fixes the problem of Roblox’s rendering quality decreasing when the display scaling is greater than 100%. I don’t see the reason on why it’s still not enabled for everyone.

That’s true. I actually depend on the FFlag “DFIntDebugFRMQualityLevelOverride” to be able to play most Roblox games smoothly. Basically this FFlag allows you to set a value of 1 to 10 (graphics quality level) and then turns the graphics slider to a render distance slider. I set the value to 3 and the graphics slider to full, with this I can play most Roblox games smoothly with full render distance.

If Roblox removed the ability to set FFlags locally and didn’t add a way to have this FFlag functionality adjustable with a user interface or add advanced graphics settings then I would be forced to set my graphics quality level to 3 and won’t be able to play games that requires high render distance. The render distance in graphics quality level 3 is very low and most Roblox games nowadays require a high render distance.

3 Likes

This could also be prevented if they readded release channels such as ZFeatureHarmony, which if you know about that fflag i expect you to know about, but if you dont, its basically ro lox if it was 100x better and had options like fortnite, seperating shadows from render distance from antialiasing etc but it shows that Roblox can and has the materials to do it

There were reasons it didnt get passed and all but i find most to be dumb, look up my posts about it and youll find replies of people correcting me about it haha

I know about alot of fflags and use alot to benefit my performance and until something like this comes along, its extremely possible that i wont be able yo play the game without fflags, these are options users should have

Also im pretty sure vulcan is just a new graphics engine and unstable for anything but nvidia, but could be wrong

Edit: i was partially right here, windows doesnt support vulkan or OpenGL, its the graphics driver and application (roblox) implementation that matter, select nvidia drivers inherently supports vulkan so thats why it seemingly has better performance

Its also designed for high performance in 3d realtime applications and offers more efficient cpu/gpu handling and lower cpu usage over directx 11 and opengl if supported

Still makes me wonder when dx12 is coming…

2 Likes

Frame rate barely is an aesthetic. If you have a low frame rate game I’m leaving, sorry.

2 Likes

I feel obligated to speak here, WE BUY OUR SPECS AND 4090S FOR A REASON

2 Likes

Why would you want to lock the framerate for your games? People were annoyed that Roblox limited the framerate to 60fps and now you want to have the option for devs to lock it?!

2 Likes

Replying because I’ve been having the same issue, with no workaround or update to it as of late.
I’m only aware this was because of Roblox removing the FFlag FFlagDebugFRMQualityOverride, since I saw a couple of posts on Reddit and a handful posts here about it.
But from what I got from those posts, basically, your computer can be as beefy as possible and Roblox still run at lower frames than expected.

We can’t do much other than suffer until something comes out of it… It’s been days, I’ve genuinely been unable to play Roblox because of this.

2 Likes

No idea what this was about but it’s definitely not related to this change.

Also I don’t think they even removed the flag

Edit: try “DFIntDebugFRMQualityLevelOverride”

Apart from saving battery and helping with consistency a lower framerate allows your device to generate significantly less heat which is very helpful on thin laptops and even phones/tablets.

3 Likes

Will see, thank you.
I’ll edit this message if anything changes.

Update: It seems to have helped out a bit. Not too much, but already makes more games manageable. Thank you, once again!
If anything happens, I’ll try to find more things related to this. Despite having said the FFlag thing with the previous reply, I still wasn’t too sure if it was really it.
I’ll be on the lookout for now.

1 Like

Is it possible to get the maximum FPS setting that the player has selected?

I believe it should be possible to get the client’s max FPS setting from UserSettings():GetService("UserGameSettings").

Additionally, there are methods to clear or register options in the settings menu, such as playerScripts:RegisterTouchCameraMovementMode(TouchCameraMovementMode).

I hope Roblox will consider adding methods to register/unregister options for maximum framerate.
This would be very helpful for obby and tower games :)

1 Like

What would the use case of this be? We almost certainly would not introduce an API for this–the preferred maximum framerate isn’t important if someone’s machine can’t hit that.

When will there be an option to set the Framerate at 30?

This is going to be outstanding! Been waiting for this!

Apologies if this was already answered in the thread, but will this impact the Client Frame Rate statistics in the dashboard and, if so, how?

I’ve been working hard to improve the performance of my game and now have to wonder if I can trust dashboard stats or not.

Averages increase with higher maximum values, so yes this will increase. If memory serves, you should be able to limit the range that it checks to your P25 and such (AKA–the lowest 25% of framerates), which will help to give you a nice lower bound to work with.

1 Like

In tower or obby genre games, having a high FPS can provide a significant advantage over other players.

Therefore, from a conservative point of view, some games should consider limiting FPS,
even though Roblox encourages and games should strive for enabling higher FPS.

To effectively prevent higher FPS,
it would be beneficial to register or clear the maximum FPS option that players can select in the game, similar to how playerScripts:RegisterTouchCameraMovementMode or ClearComputerCameraMovementModes work.

This isn’t just relevant for obby games.
Being able to get a player’s maximum FPS setting could be useful in several cases. For example:

1. Optimization:
    If the maximum FPS isn’t reached, scripts could automatically optimize performance.

2. Extrapolation:
    Approximates the position or movement for the next frame, such as smoothing the camera

Now we just need y’all to use the GPU instead of the CPU to render like any other game in the modern times

This simply doesn’t sound like the type of thing we would expose, sorry. If you really feel you must lock FPS, you can do that in a script by doing something silly like busy waiting until enough delta time has passed. I think @MaximumADHD does that in Super Nostalgia Zone to get 30 FPS for the aesthetic. But I would obviously not recommend it for any mechanical purposes, and VR players won’t like it.

2 Likes

A fair advantage, it just makes your gameplay smoother in general with less latency, which you basically pay for if you get a high refresh rate monitor and good specs

You essentially want to give your players more latency and input lag which will (again) end up giving more power to nvidia users

Not to mention the money spent on the specs to even get high fps becomes wasted

In games as precise as tower games youll want as minimal lag and delay as possible to try to get your movements 1:1, especially if its a challenging obby or race, you shouldnt have to handicap your players to bring them to the level of other players, if they want to play competitively they should be allowed to

I really doubt vr players will be playing anything competitive let alone tower games haha, but in vr, fps caps might look very choppy and can limit gameplay potential and playability, which is another reason not to cap fps