Introducing TorsionSpringConstraint

Heh, so many ideas in mind already.

I love it but unfortunately, Iā€™m not good with constraints and even if I was I donā€™t have a need for this at the moment but overall good update canā€™t wait to see others implement it.
9.3/10

Really neat and useful to have in Roblox studio! They act like hinges but has actual physics into them. Wonder what we could use.

prismatic constraints for elevators are uhhh, buggy. Using something like CFrame then welding the player to it would be better

This is speaking in terms of using a constraint for an elevator, not in terms of different ways to make elevators. PrismaticConstraint is the proper constraint for creating an elevator, TorsionSpringConstraint is for constructs that require a torque-based spring.

PrismaticConstraints are only meant to apply a force along a fixed axis. What youā€™re probably catching here is a case of improperly managed network ownership or bad values on the constraint. That being said, if there really is a bug (meaning explicitly an unexpected issue or wrong circumstance when using them that isnā€™t under your control), be sure to file a report on that.

Great feature, useful for projects, not that difficult to set up and inspiring.

Examples are great as well.

I really hope developers enjoy this too, keep up the good work!

1 Like

Any chance you can open source this? I see how I could use this in one of my games. Thanks!

1 Like

I have been messing with TorsionSprings recently and havenā€™t been able to get the visual spring to show up, I was wondering if anyone else was having the same issue or if anyone knows a solution?

2 Likes

Could you explain how you configured the spring? I can take a look at your model if you can share it with me, either here or through private message.

Sorry for the very delayed response, I actually was using the game file provided in the original post. The only changes I made were, setting every constraint to visible. Only the HingeConstraint showed though.

3 Likes

Can you see if you have selected ā€œConstraint Detailsā€ in the model tab ? Also it is possible that you may have changed the configuration of the underlying attachments which can get into a state where the constraint angle is 0 hence not showing the spring

1 Like

Thank you, turning on Constraint Details made the spring visible for me. This also brought up another question, does the TorsionSpringConstraint Visible property do anything? I would like to show the same spring visuals inside of a game if possible.

2 Likes

There is currently no support for in-game visualization of the torsionSpringConstraint. That being said, if we receive more requests for having such a feature we may release that as as well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.