Introducing TorsionSpringConstraint

Welds and joints that break when a certain amount of force is applied to them. In particular, this feature request.

15 Likes

Meh. I’ll probably just create a door stopper with it and then release it to see it vibrate back and forth. :grin:

On a more serious note, wasn’t expecting this but great feature! This has so may potential applications, from real world example to the more absurd. I’m already thinking of making a car with this connected to the wheels.

4 Likes

This is so cool! A new feature for physics based games!

I apparently love how it works, but does it affect performance on client? I tried physical constraints and they lag apparently because of how much memory they take.

1 Like

Depends on how much resources the client has and how much they can use. So for low-end devices it might lag.

1 Like

This is amazingly useful for character rigs, especially ragdolls. You can use this to dampen the “floppyness” of joints.

1 Like

Most games have a gambling crate system, might as well give them more ideas!

4 Likes

Very nice addition, It’s really nice seeing physics being improved on Roblox! :smile:

1 Like

The Coils property, similar to the one on SpringConstraints is visual. Also, if you aren’t able to see the spring in the test file you might have to check off the Visible property to true.

2 Likes

The visible property isn’t working as far as I can tell.

5 Likes

Roblox and It’s team improving once again.
This update will let developers make much more realistic physics for objects.
I’m so excited to try this out! :smile:

1 Like

Another great update! this will be so useful for making hinge doors and spinning objects nice! :grinning:

1 Like

For elevators I just tween the model (locally) and weld the players inside to it. So far it as worked wonderfully for me.

First thing I thought of when this came out:

Note: it does look like a servo hinge constraint but I use that to hold it in place and the torsion spring constraint launches it.

Edit: it is also self-righting when it falls over

26 Likes

tweening elevators has always resulted in a supper choppy not smooth elevator that nobody wants to use because they fall through the floor if they’re not in a chair.

2 Likes

That would make it a pretty swag elevator to be fair, :joy:

That’s exactly why I weld the players inside to the elevator. I also tween the elevator locally to almost completely reduce the ‘stuttering’. But hey that’s just me, maybe I’m doing it wrong, but it has worked fine for me.

2 Likes

Alright that’s it, you’ve finally made me admit that you guys are not that bad with updates, this is sick, I can only imagine what could be created with this

Small nitpick, but it appears this update accidentally overwrote the class icon for the ProximityPrompt class, likely the result of a branch merge overwriting the changes.

The class icon originally looked like this:

(cc @Rototally)

16 Likes

Thanks for reporting, we will fix this issue soon.

9 Likes

Problem is, Cars dont use this kind of suspension. Cars have springs that only damp up and downwards in real life so no side to side damping, cars also have a shock damper but that has a whole different purpose which is to make the spring stop bouncing after one time (otherwise you would be getting a mercedes bouncy car effect.

2 Likes