Introducing Two Game Security Settings: Third Party Sales & Cross Game Teleports

yeah im suprised they havent added that yet, considering require is how backdoors even get into your game

3 Likes

This is a very good update but there are some backdoors that do more than just prompting a Marketplace message so by disabling these prompts that will make the backdoors essentially silently. So in that case the best option could do an output warn or print with information about it.

1 Like

Great update! Death to all these viruses! Thanks so much for this; thisā€™ll greatly benefit my Roblox development experience.

3 Likes

This is purely amazing, thank you Roblox!
Iā€™m glad you guys are finally taking a stance on something like this, it basically disables the purpose of most basic ā€œMalwareā€ plugins / models now.

I believe this will most likely enhance the developing experience for new users who unknowingly install malicious content.

1 Like

This would definitely be a useful tool in protecting a lot of viruses encountered from freemodels and plugins! Iā€™m glad to see that roblox is focusing on this. Perhaps later, preventing exploit backdoors in games might be possible

1 Like

oh sorry, I didnā€™t exactly know what they were and looked at this post and thought thatā€™s what they are

1 Like

Will the avatar inspect menu continue working with UGC creations even with 3rd party sales disabled?

2 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!
GOODBYE SERVER-SIDES! :wave:

Well at least for now anyway, new ways to exploit the system will likely always be found. :pensive:

2 Likes

Goodbye dodgy free models! Server - sides are GONE!

2 Likes

Can we get a way to whitelist specific places/products or creators? One example could be selling third-party clothing, but still wanting security, or teleporting to a sister game while still being secure.

8 Likes

Since these features is introduced, virus plugins will be gone also. Good job, Roblox.

4 Likes

Is there any plans on some sort of method for developers that make modules and rely on third party sales to check if the place allows it or not? For example HD Admin has a Donor gamepass which allows the user to use donor commands across all places that utilize HD Admin.

A way to at least tell if we are even allowed to prompt the user with the gamepass would be nice, if not we could just hide the whole menu.
https://gyazo.com/a38355720e2193207f791039f146c7aa

If a user decides that ā€œooo I want to purchase thisā€ and then starts clicking the button and nothing happening, that isnā€™t very user friendly, is it? Or do need to like check the warning in a xpcall or something to see if it got blocked or not, still the user would have to click the button once.

Maybe there already is a way to check this? If not this would be something that I would like if it got added.

Now weā€™ll just wait for this subscription service of yours

Though, on the other end of the edge, this is a really great update! Now we might see less scam purchases being prompted 24/7 in some games.

9 Likes

Does this mean we will see Roblox taking more actions against malicious assets as time goes on? These are great steps being taken to prevent these malicious assets from doing damage and I canā€™t wait to see what else we will see when it comes to the marketplace

2 Likes

What can be used to ensure these are disabled upon launch, such as from a server script which checks and disables them if set to enabled?

I assume some kind of GetService reference, but Iā€™m not too sure what itā€™d be.

2 Likes

I really hope that this wasnā€™t a method to counter the damage that backdoors cause. The only reason they teleported players to separate games was to log infected games. There have already been numerous workarounds created by these malicious owners and teleporting was simply just an easier and more effective way to log these infected games.

Nevertheless, this will stop those ā€œADMINā€ gamepass purchases and those infected model purchases as well. This update will have an effect on bad actors trying to earn free revenue or infect more games by selling gamepasses, models, etc.

1 Like

:sunglasses: Now I donā€™t have to struggle on finding those modules which teleports people to a random place.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s completely irrelevant to this thread, as the whole scam involved making users think it was securing the game, when in fact it was being used to abuse premium payouts, which I assume would be classed a fraudulent robux gaining method, therefore violating the terms of service.

As for the gamepasses, those would violate the ToS guaranteed, as they donā€™t deliver what they say youā€™re purchasing, therefore being classed as a falsely advertised product (basically a scam).

Please donā€™t try and trick the community into believing these false marketing garbage that these scammers use for this kind of stuff.

1 Like

I would assume so, for Roblox created items, but Iā€™m unsure about UGC, then again, the context menu is inside of the CoreGUI, so it might be fine.

2 Likes

I do like this change, however for devs who use the teleport service, it would also be very usefull to have a list of places allowed to be teleported to, that way the dev can controll what are exceptable places (IDs). This would stop any suspect code and would perhaps ease peoples minds on using items from the tool box. I have learnt the hard way and now never use anything from toolbox without fully checking it out in a new project first. :slight_smile: nice update all the same.

2 Likes

Will the third party teleports setting also disable teleports between a game under a group I own and a game I own under my profile?

3 Likes