Introducing Videos in the Marketplace!

The two video limit being enforced serverside is a huge restriction, I was planning on using this feature for TVs players could place in plots, but this makes it infeasible. I’d love it if you could have more videos playing at once on the server and the client would only update videos in view of the camera

17 Likes

This is absolutely amazing, the fact that a video that high quality can be run within the Roblox Engine is insane, I absolutely love all the care and effort the Roblox Staff put for the developers, I’m looking forward to see what great ideas the developers will come up with, however I do have some questions, how are you meant to moderate videos that contain Adult Imagery within them, when the custom upload comes out, how lag efficient are these videos for the other players?

17 Likes

This doesn’t look bad at all

53 Likes

Custom videos will be possible in the future.

17 Likes

It kinda sucks how you cant change the transparency for VideoFrames. I was hoping there was some way to overlap mutliple videos on top of each other but then again, that can be abused.

19 Likes

This is such an amazing update, I was planning to go to sleep but I’ll probably stay overnight and mess around with video frames experimenting on all the new things I’ll be capable to achieve. I’ve just got a few questions in mind that I’d like to ask.

• How well will these video frames be able to be scripted
  • Is there a limit on how many videos there can be in a frame
  • How much will this effect performance on other devices

That’s most of the questions I wanted to ask, I’ll be surely testing this and giving feedback along the way. I love that you’re able to have a few pre-made ones now. I can’t wait until we’ll be able to upload our own videos but there’s only one concern and that is moderation since I know that a lot of my images got taken down even though they were simple objects or renders so that’s the biggest concern for me.

Edit: Wanted to know if we are able to have audio on these video frames too?

12 Likes

They’ll most likely have actual humans checking the videos

25 Likes

Videos are going to spice up a lot of games! Can’t wait to see a video instead of a 20-page image sequence or flip through a bunch of camera angles manually. I’m glad that there’s already a lot of “stock” footage available to use, but it feels rather concerning for the future of moderation. We’ve already seen people use bypassed decals and audio that are literal unedited images of unsafe content, what’s to say that videos are going to be safe from this problem once it releases to the public?
The only solution I can think of right now would be to lock video uploading to a select group of people and bring more people into it over time, similarly to the UGC program. However, that doesn’t stop this feature from being a great step up for developers.

22 Likes

Please remember our rules/guidelines! If your post is simply hyping up this announcement, please conserve it to simply liking the announcement post! :sweat_smile:

poggers.

When are we gonna see developers have the ability to upload videos? Will this be the same as audio where we have to pay a small fee to upload the asset based on the length?

Even so, VideoFrames will open up Roblox’s freedom with what the engine can do and will add a new level of immersion to games.

18 Likes

Can’t wait to see where this goes! This has been a long time coming and I’m glad to see it’s finally here and out of testing!

I assume there is stricter moderation and possibly the staff watching them to see what the content is rather than a bot going over it?

14 Likes

The resolution is capped at 720p. Videos currently only support WebM as the video codec as well. This might change in the future but ROBLOX is probably being conservative about performance, particularly for mobile devices.

18 Likes

Could we have ScaleType in VideoFrames?

Yes, I know there’s a new resolution property, but it’d be nice to have this scaling feature on VideoFrames as well.
And adding a resolution property to Image Instances as well would be brilliant

15 Likes

It’s safe to assume uploading a video with a different format will convert it to webm, like how it’s currently done with audio.

10 Likes

When videos are available to the public, will they be paid access? If they are will they use the same rate as audios do? Even with paid access this still exists:
https://www.roblox.com/library/2752862458/HOTEL-HOTEL-HOTEL-WaterPark

10 Likes

Yes! I won’t have to upload like 300 decals to do this any more!
I do have a question, though. All the current uploaded videos by Roblox have the same aspect ratio, so i’m wondering if we can set aspect ratios on uploaded videos. I’m assuming you can compress a video and stretch it out, but that might end up screwing the quality and might be bad for moderation.

Also, these will be fantastic for hangout places and especially tutorials. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Absolutely fantastic, however, I did have a question. I’m not sure if this was already asked but would we be able to adjust the actual resolution of the video at some point?

14 Likes

It would also be cool if the music preview button actually worked at LEAST half the time.

36 Likes

What about animated GIFs?
Do you have planned to do the same thing with GIFs?

Thank You! @RoxyBloxyy

18 Likes