Introducing Videos in the Marketplace!

Question
Would video Frames be used for ads?

19 Likes

Another :clap: feature :clap: just :clap: for :clap: UGC :clap: creators

As weā€™ve seen before, these features will never be available for the general public to use, as a video editor, a programmer and someone who doesnā€™t have connections. I am concerned for Roblox, as these whitelist only features are now a regular occurrence, hell lets just make it so only whitelisted people can make games.

UGC is not User Generated if not every user can generate it, I really hope Roblox doesnā€™t decide to ignore this one and give us a deadline on when both the UGC catalog and Videos be available for everyone to create, that is the entire purpose of Roblox and how it ran for years, these restrictions will hurt Roblox in the business side and hurt developers that will eventually cause them to quit and move to other platforms.

EDIT: Roblox already has a video moderation team, they already allow videos to be posted by users, why not allow everyone (or just Beta members for instance) to upload videos? (Thanks to @LexiDog5 for reminding me of that feature)

47 Likes

Thanks for another great feature!
Iā€™m especially looking forward to seeing how custom uploads works out.
And most importantly the cost of such? :smiley:

10 Likes

Might be worth having some UGC-type program for uploading videos. Moderating this will be extremely difficult and if people are able to just make new accounts and endlessly try to bypass the moderation they will. Maybe even restricting video uploading to users who can devex, for a few reasons:

• Devex is a pretty massive program now so there would already be people verified to use the feature.
  • The majority of users who will try to upload malicious content would already be filtered out by the devex ā€œvettingā€ process.
  • And most of all, nobody would risk devex privileges to upload an image that will most likely not even get through the moderation.

Not really sure if itā€™s practical, but publicly opening video uploading isnā€™t very practical either. So, just a thought.

17 Likes

So what? they already have Audios that they can moderate, integrating video wouldnā€™t be that hard because they do have the manpower to sit for 5 minutes and look if a video is NSFW or not, it is not rocket science.

11 Likes

Says the limit is clientside, not serverside. Big difference there.

9 Likes

Moderating a video is significantly harder than moderating audio. Plus, the legal or social repercussions that would come with an unmoderated/bypassed video are much worse than that of audio. And yes, they have the manpower to moderate audios, but that does not mean that they can just give up moderating audio to also moderate videos. It would require an entirely new team.

10 Likes

Results are looking pretty good so far!

I canā€™t wait to see what everyoneā€™s going to create with this new technology!

21 Likes

I love this update and Iā€™m just saying this now, This will spark a new generation for Roblox. I have soo many ideas for what this could be used for.

I might have to hire Videographers now.

21 Likes

i been waiting for this to come omg finally

i can play videos in my places i hope in future we can link a youtube video or live stream

that what i want to be added if possible ā€¦

i hope uploading them wont cost much alsoā€¦???

6 Likes

32 posts were split to a new topic: Feedback - Like Instead of Reply

Amazing!! :wink: :tongue:

I canā€™t wait to see people take advantage from this highly requested feature in many different smart ways.

Advantages from videos

This allows stuff Iā€™ve heard before, such as:

• Animated textures :star:

• Theatres and screens :desktop_computer:

• More professional tutorials :wave:

And some ideas I got that I guess these will be very popular when someone finds out:

• Live event for new yearā€™s eve updates :star2:

(And many similar ones)

• TV gear with video IDā€™s like how stereo gears worked but for videos :tv: (please, scratch that)

• Taking advantage of videos to save resources on lower end devices for performance while also mantaining a decent look. :sunflower: :sun_behind_rain_cloud:

(Making some higher quality renders that will run smoothly on weaker devices)

Lastlyā€¦ Even more stuff I didnā€™t mention that this awesome community will make! :heart_eyes: :coefficients:

Possible Issues...

Somehow, by the other hand, I can already see some kind of controversy coming either for short or long term after video uploading is open for everyoneā€¦

Iā€™ll make my fears clear:

• Upload pricing being too high :robux_gold:
  • Copyrighted assets Ā©
  • Inappropiate/annoying content :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

As long as the moderation gets overhauled, Itā€™s ok, I guess. I think something like this has already happened for audio files. :eyes:

At least theyā€™ve learned from their past mistakes, so I wouldnā€™t worry too much.

I donā€™t want to be negative, but this is still something to take very carefullyā€¦ :grimacing:

(Feel free to mention me if controversy about this actually ever happens lol)

Edit: glad it works on ScreenGUI's too

Sorry, looks like I just misread the whole thingā€¦ :neutral_face: :dizzy_face:

I was kindaā€™ worried but nvm lol

With nothing more to add, I hope you get my point, and please, let me know if you have something to say if you wish to. :smile: :bulb:

Cya next. :coefficients:

9 Likes

Does this mean that we can use video frames in games now? Not just in studio?

6 Likes

It seems that VideoFrame works on SurfaceGui and BillboardGui. But SurfaceGui is not working.

2 Likes

Theres a bug going around when you test it in studio and then stop the video does not show up on the part that may be the issue

3 Likes

As excited as I am, I have some concerns regarding protection against NSFW content being uploaded to the site. Itā€™s one thing with audios or decals, but videos take things to a whole new level.

What would be the moderation process with videos being uploaded to the site? How safe is this feature?

6 Likes

Attempting to play more than two videos on the server applies the same restriction, regardless if any client can see them. It says the limit is for clients in OP, but that just isnā€™t the case in actual servers.

5 Likes

Yeah one thing I suggest is if the user using the account is 13- they arenā€™t able to see videos unless the video that is displaying is approved or something like that. But thereā€™s a problem, and the problem is that children lie about their age

7 Likes

It works for ScreenGuis as well. I have just tested it in both studio and in-game.

2 Likes

This is epic!

Complements:

• It supports UIcorner!

(Really the only ui aspect that I care about)
  • Videos are not lagging at all (Probably because im on a test baseplate)
  • The Sound quality is perfect on Screen GUIā€™s

Suggestions:

• Sound Range

Bugs:

• rbxassetid:// doesnt appear if you just type a number, you have to add it when typing a number

This is a really excited thing to see coming! I canā€™t wait to see more things like this! GG Roblox!

18 Likes