Introducing Webhooks for External Notifications

I really like this update as it will allow me to easily be able to see things that before I would have to check Roblox for.

What other notifications plan to be added? Some cool ones possibly could be when somthing happens in a roblox group (the auto log).

2 Likes

Yes when the endpoints are pointing to Discord, Slack and Guilded the webhook message is modified.
However when the endpoint provided is an http service the webhook message sent is a more structured data.

Will there be any chance or plans in the future we can choose how we want them to be modified/sent without having to create our own server and send the Webhook to something such as Discord ourselfs?

You can technically do this yourself.

There are services like Zapier which are end-to-end integration tools.
They can take an incoming webhook, grab certain fields from the data structure and restructure the request and send them out to another webhook.

Yea but that still means we have to set it up our self like that. I was wondering if there will ever be a time were we can do it without having to do anything else but set it up on Roblox.

Like depending on the data it may not be wanted data to be going through another place before getting to the destination.

Zapier was more or less just an idea for the less tech-savvy people.
If you know how to it’s far easier to just host a simple expressjs application yourself and manage it that way, there are plenty of places where you can host this, even for free.

Also the security isn’t that big of a concern, firstly the system already mandates HTTPS, which means the bodies cannot be intercepted.
Secondly bodies also cannot be spoofed due to the secret signature system.

3 Likes

Is this direct support to allow us to send data from an experience to a webhook, like Discord?

It’s great, but is it possible to post HTTP request in game to use this webhook? So I can make a request with some information and send somewhere using scripts while playing the game. If yes, then how to get webhook link?

This will allow developers to automate GDPR requests.

2 Likes

NO WAY THIS IS ASTRONOMICAL, absolutely insane thx roblox!

3 Likes

Thank you for listening to my suggestion! The GDPR requests have been such a pain for too long now!

4 Likes

While it is a great feature for getting notified, I think it would be nice to have a on-site tool to automate the GDPR process.

2 Likes

Okay, so let’s say I had a Wiki, I could use a Webhook to tell the Wiki something has happened and do something in the Wiki? Cool

how do we test this feature for gdrp in studio to make sure its working correctly, and also do we need a hosting api to use that gdrp feature?

Currently there is no plan for it.

3 Likes

Yes we are working on some solution for that. Although we cannot provide complete support for it as different Dev’s have different ways of handling the storage and one solution does not work for all.
We should have an update on that soon.

4 Likes

Great future! i’m currently actively working on communicating between “third party” this will make great use to make things more secure when communicating between “third party” applications.

Wait, does this mean we need to host our own Server between a Webhooks in order to trigger an Webhook?

Is the only way to trigger these webhooks currently on incoming GDPR requests? Can they be triggered from game servers using an API yet? If, for example, I want to send a message to a Discord channel whenever an event is completed in-game, will I have to manually send a request to the Discord endpoint using HTTPService still? I’m confused

then make it an optional solution gee? there’s all kinds of solutions and having a solution for this does not seem difficult at all, because you still have tons of other things you should worry about, but this needs to be done as a solution