Introduction to VFX: Particles

Hello Developers!

This is part 1 to the VFX tutorial series im going to create.

This post is all about particles!

Note: After following this tutorial, dont expect to be a master. VFX takes years to learn and master so i will provide you with the first steps.

This post is for beginners or people who dont know much about particles!

How do i insert a particle emitter into your game?

Insert a part, then insert a ParticleEmitter into the Part.

APPEARANCES:

How do i change the color of the particles?

Change the color property in the ParticleEmmiter to your goal color or click the 3 dots on the right and create a color sequence. If your particle contains color and you want to change it, you will be required to use photoshop.

My particle is too dull / bright, how do i change this?

Using the properties Brightness, LightEmission and LightInfluence. you can alter the brightness of your particles. However, the property Brightness will only appear once LightInfluence is less than 1.

How to i change the particle viewing perspective?

Use the 4 options that have been provided which are FacingCamera, FacingCameraWorldUp, VelocityParallel and VelocityPerpendicular.

How do i change the Size?

Change the Size property to your goal size or click the 3 dots on the right
and create a number sequence.

How do i Stretch the Particle?

Change the Squash property using positive and negative numbers or click the 3 dots on the right and create a number sequence.

How do i change my particle texture?

Change the id of the Texture property using the given link,
http://www.roblox.com/asset/?id=YOUR_DECAL_ID

How do change the Transparency of my particles?

Change the Transparency property to your goal number or create a number sequence (from 0 to 1)
0 being full visibility and 1 being transparent.

How do i change the order my particles appear in?

Using the ZOffset property, edit the number to your goal number
For example i have an explosion effect.
I want the fire to be infront of the smoke.
I need to change the ZOffset of the fire to 1 and the ZOffset of the smoke to 0

EMMISSION:

How do i change the face the particles are emitted from?

Using the EmissionDirection property, Edit using the 6 faces provided. They are Top, Bottom, Left, Right, Front and Back.

How do i change the lifetime of the particles?

The lifetime property sets the time that every particle will be destroyed by. Simply, specify the the lifetime or use a comma to introduce a random time to be destroyed at. For example (1,3). The particle may be destroyed at 1 or 2 or 3 seconds.

How do i increase or decrease the rate of particles spawning?

Change the Rate property to change the spawn rate.

How do i make sure a particle is rotated when it spawns?

Specify a number using the Rotation property. Just like lifetime, to provide a random rotation, add 2 numbers and the particle will spawn with a random rotation in between the 2 given numbers. For example (-180,180). The particle may spawn with a rotation of -74 or 65.

How do i change the rotation speed in an active particle?

Using the RotSpeed property, specify the the speed you want your particles to go. A negative number moves the particle left, a positive number moves the particle right. For a random speed, provide 2 numbers and the particle will spawn with a random rotation between the 2 numbers. For example (-60, 70). The particle may spawn with -54 speed (left) or 30 speed (right).

How do i speed up or slow down my particles?

Set the Speed property to your goal speed.

How do i spread around my particles?

Using the SpreadAngle property, enter the angle on the X and Y axis. For example, if i changed the SpreadAngle to (90,90), the particles would be emitted from the Top, Left, Right, Front and back faces.

End of Basics 1

Using the information i have provided in this post, I created this simple but effective fire particle!

Although i have only covered certain properties, hopefully these in depth explanations can help you understand the basics of particles.

Thanks for reading. Part 2 soon!

16 Likes

I wish this tutorial was still alive…

1 Like