iPad: crash when trying to join specific servers

Bug: iPad app crashes after attempting to join a specific server

Steps to Reproduce

1. Open iPad app
  2. Browse to Game
  3. Tap “Servers” item in game’s description
  4. Scroll down to one of the running servers
  5. Press “Join” button
  6. Notice you do not join the experience, a gray modal overlay appears on the screen, you are no longer able to use the iPad app, and you do not join the experience

Expected

Expect to be able to join a specific server from the list

Observed

iPad app became unresponsive and had to be restarted, never joined the game.

What I have tried

I have uninstalled and re-installed the iPad app, it still crashes and won’t let me join a specific server. I have restarted iPad, and it still crashes on a fresh restart.

Video of iPad crashes

iPad crash video on YouTube
Note I had a hard time uploading the video file (250MB) to this message, so I have created a YouTube video of it instead of attaching the video directly to this ticket.

In this video, notice:

1. timestamp 0:19 - Join button pressed
  2. timestamp 0:26 - I have waited, and iPad app does not work. I kill the ipad app by double-tap home button and then swiping up in iPad app list
  3. timestamp 0:30 - restart iPad app
  4. 0:50 attempt to join a different server from the list
  5. 1:04 iPad app is totally locked up
  6. 1:15 kill iPad app with a swipe up from iPad task list
  7. 1:19 restart iPad app
  8. 1:32 demonstrate normal green play button works fine to join game
  9. 1:56 try to join specific server again, lock up iPad app again

Ipad Details

iPad (7th generation) model# MW782LL/A with iOS 15.6.1

4 Likes

It’s definitely not a YOU problem, as this happens to me when I use the IPad. The only thing I can do to fix this is just restart the IPad and then it should be fixed. But this only happens like 50% of the time.

1 Like

I believe this also happens on the 6th Generation too as it’s the generation of ipad I am using and it does the same thing.

Following up on this!

We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database, and we’ll follow up when we have an update.

Thanks for flagging!

3 Likes

@Focia19 this is still a problem. The last update from Roblox was 2.5 months ago. What happened when this went to the internal database? What time frame can we expect this to be addressed?

1 Like

Same is happenibg with me on android.

Hey everyone, sorry for the late response here. Just circling back on old threads. It this still an issue? Lmk, I’ll ping the engineers if so.

I can confirm this still happens as of the release of many Roblox updates and iOS updates. On my iPad (10th generation) I can’t play the game Murder Drones: Reassembled without the game crashing Roblox various times even when I play on my iPhone instead or just turn down the graphics quality. The description has the words not optimised for mobile yet however lots of other mobile users I’ve seen in that game play on mobile. Link to the game is here: Murder Drones: Reassembled [RP] BETA - Roblox

Well I mean its competitors are less laggy on mobile but yea this game is optimized for mobile if not why can I play it anyway?
Competitors:
IMG_0225