Is adding (more) badges worth it?

Hello,

On other platforms achievements seemingly take a more significant part than on Roblox. I noticed that most games have very few, some only “welcome” one or none at all. Even biggest, high quality games.And if there are, they usually are boring and have a poorly designed icon.

A lot of that could be blamed on the platform, because badge in-game popup is very “weak” and there’s no way to sort your badges and feature them on your Roblox profile as far as I know. So even impressive ones that barely anyone has are quickly drowned by “Beginner” or “Launched the game”

How do you feel about them? Do you try to collect badges as a player? Why not? And as a developer, do you find that players of your game(s) care about those achievements or not?

Personally, I do like adding all kinds of Easter Egg achievements or the ones that highlight lesser known game mechanics, but is that something worth my time and -100 Robux?

Badges are basically free now

So yes, + getting achievements, no matter how small, is quite inticing to some players.
Take for example in Genshin Impact, many people continue to play the game with the prospect of getting all the achievements/alot of achievements. Another example in the same way would be to 100% a part of the land, even if you don’t really get much of anything from it.

3 Likes

Oooh, I was under impression that you only get 5 free badges and pay 100 robux for every badge after. Didn’t know that cost resets. That’s good to know and also makes it even weirder that so few games don’t add more.

I feel like badges on Roblox platform are somewhat meaningless to the players. On Steam you can feature your proudest achievements or make a funny collage out of them. On most other platforms, you gain some kind of points to level up your account.

I’m pretty sure badge hunting (or specific “badge hunting”) is still prevalent in roblox. Its just the fact that since there are many games with many achievements, it doesn’t stand out as much to the overall community. I’ve seen some parts of the community in discord servers I’m in where they show off their badges in the game (community game based server).

Showing off achievements can also be in other forms like achievements in game but not badges (since some games also do that as well). Having an achievement system though is also beneficial as instead of relying on the datastores to store and save the achievement, you can have roblox handle that load by just giving the badge to the player to count as the “achievement”.

Players can view other people’s badges in their inventory though Roblox has been making it slightly more difficult as players can hide their entire inventory (blanketing over badges as well) and the fact that its inside the inventory and not showcased as heavily on the profile. (Kinda but not really)

I love badges, a lot. Especially badges that give the players tools, or other stuff. Makes it seem like goals working towards.

Also makes players feel special when they see what percent of players have the badge.

It really does depend in my experience. If you make badges for finding secrets or completing challenges, it incentivizes players to keep playing your game in order to get the badge. Basically, make them rewards for hard and/or interesting things.