Is creating "wet" or otherwise slightly watery terrain possible?

The title explains it in a nutshell. Is something like that possible? Thus far, the closest thing I can achieve to a watery/muddy terrain is setting the water transparency to 0, adding a very thin layer of water over a flat part of the terrain (which can be annoying at times because it sometimes creates deeper craters than desired), and setting the water wave & speed to a bare minimum. Finally I add a second, semi reflective terrain in and around the mud to make it look more “wet”. The result is a such:

Obviously this is only a cheap work-around. The desired result would look somewhat more consistent & spread across larger areas, as such:

Any feedback & help is welcome.

With the terrain tools, no. I’m sure though if you mesh the terrain you could, but not with default tools.

1 Like

One thing you can do is get a mesh plane and apply surface appearances with a muddy water kind of PBR. Although that might only work under the proper lighting so you’ll have to play around with it.

1 Like

How would one go about meshing terrain?

How would I go about meshing a plane? Are you referring to meshing out the terrain? If yes, how to do so?

I’m referencing to a MeshPart
Like I said though it only really works under Future Lighting and not so much anything else.

Mud.rbxm

3 Likes

Because of how big the voxel size is for terrain cells, this is extremely hard and practically impossible to accomplish. It can be done with PBR texturing though.

Hello

I would like to help with this. Although there is some things you could do. But some news has to be broken.

What you can’t do.

You can not use terrain to make this, it is extremely impossible to do. But you can make mesh terrain to do this. As this could also be done with Blender.

What you can do.

There actually is something you can do. I did some searching within the DevForums and tested this myself, you can make and shape the terrain how you want it, and later add a moving water block, instead of Roblox’s water.

You can also do something like I shared above. There is ways around this, that can be done other ways.

Conclusion

There is multiple ways to do this, but you can not do this with the ROBLOX terrain, as it is not at all possible, like other people have shared. But I would do what I suggested, as that is several things you can test out to see if they work out for you.

If you have questions o concerns don’t hesitate to ask.