Is it against ToS to track someone's coordinates?

It would still raise the general question of safety however, as roblox is primarily a platform for children. I suspect any and all methods of doing this are usually blocked off, such as with HTTP Service, however you can get someones country or timezone with intentionally provided methods. And Pokemon Go! does use your GPS location, as thats how it finds gyms and such, people used to spoof their GPS so they could play from home.

2 Likes

Tracking the general location of someone via an IP is a generally common practice for most websites that are not and or do not need to be COPPA compliant. Its used for advertisement and providing the relevant translations and such for said person.

The problem with tracking an IP is usually:

1. Not informing the user of it happening
  2. Malicious behavior with said IP
  3. Tracking the IP even when no consent was explicitly given

Temporarily storing an IP and just using it to serve relevant information is rarely ever a crime or a problem in it of itself.

1 Like

Don’t worry about that system, It would not harm the players playing his game.

1 Like

Yes, but he’s tracking their exact coordinates.

Oh, does the system not work?

It won’t get the player’s IP, most probably the roblox server’s IP(not sure about that but pretty sure that the client is safe).

1 Like

Your IP almost never gives a precise location. Mine shows me as a state away, phones might be a bit different but most apps on mobile use a GPS location, as opposed to IP location because its wildly inaccurate most of the time.

Worst case scenario is that it shows your town or city, which is why its good for translations at the very least. But anything further derived from that is useless information most of the time.

Oh, so he’s tracking Roblox. He now knows where roblox is… Oh, wait, you can get that info from a Google search. Well, hopefully no one comes out with a system like this that actually works.

How did he get the coordinates then?

He never said he got the coordinates he asked if it was against the ToS, he didnt say that he has a system that is capable of doing that

besides, the general location of a player (such as country) is already available to the developer

You can still get a location from an IP, it will just be where the server that manages the network traffic to that IP is. Unless you host your own local DNS or ISP company, you are safe.

1 Like

He did, the screenshots show him getting the coordinates to roblox servers and his own network because he ran the serversided code in studio.

It’s not GDPR compliant, however.

He did, but later found out it got the coordinates of the server. He even posted the script. Here’s a picture of the UI:

I scribbled over parts of it because I don’t want to get in trouble for exposing IP or coordinates.

I believe that’s the IP and coordinates of the roblox server since he sent a request (from the server) to the ipify api and geobyte (which returns the ip address and geolocation of the ip which it was pinged via)

2 Likes

COPPA really isn’t the big problem here but GDPR is…

That would apply under the problems i listed, its allowed under GDPR is consent is given.

Underage can’t give this consent…

Geo-coordinates from IP address are wildly inaccurate.

it’s not, every site does it

pokemon go uses GPS, which Roblox games dont have access to

2 Likes

It will probably get you banned. They might count it as asking for personal info

1 Like