Is it against ToS to track someone's coordinates?

Is it against ToS to track someone’s coordinates to make a game like Pokemon GO? I’m not gonna but I’m just wondering if I’m allowed to.

1 Like

No, why would this even be a question, of course you cant track someones location.

4 Likes

I didn’t say location, I said coordinates.

coordinates are a more precise form of location. it’s the same thing, but would probably get you IP banned from roblox because of how bad that is.

3 Likes

Their real like coordinates or the ones in game?

There is no way to locate anyone in real life besides what Roblox has already collected from the “Location” dropbox from the settings. In game coordinates are fine.

3 Likes

It is not against TOS to track someone’s location simply because its impossible to do so.

10 Likes

It’s impossible to do (except through UserInputService | Roblox Creator Documentation (mobile only)) but that only shows the acceleration and not the actual location.

Watch me

Is this all just text, no scripts?

Here’s the script.

This gets the server’s information, not the players (from what I can see)

2 Likes

While this works in Studio, it will not in a real server.

Why won’t it? That would be dumb if it doesn’t work.

HttpRequests are sent from the server this means the IP and location sent is of the servers.

1 Like

Does it look like a server script to you?

InvokeServer asks the server to do it. Also, HttpRequests can’t be sent from the client.

3 Likes

Ohh I see it now.

The TOS doesn’t explicitly mention this because its never been an issue or problem yet. But this will most likely be against TOS the moment it becomes big enough because this could be used to track the location of accounts which happen to be ran by children, therefore breaking COPPA. Though i’m not sure if this only becomes a problem for advertisement or just storing the data altogether, and if its not against COPPA to just do it like Pokemon GO would.

8 Likes

It only becomes a problem to COPPA if you store this info, discarding it doesn’t count from what I heard.

1 Like

Also Pokemon Go! uses your camera, not your location, I believe.

2 Likes