Is it allowed to sell avatar shop items in my game?

Hello everyone,

So I’m planning to add some sort of back accessories in my game as purchasable items. However, I’m not sure whether it is allowed or not (this includes UGC items)

Is it allowed?

Thank you.

1 Like

You can add purchasable accessories (created by Roblox, UGC Creators, or yourself) into your Roblox experience. To do this, you must enable “Third-Party Sales” in your experience’s Roblox Studio settings.

Thank you for your response.

What I meant was selling the item in the game’s currency (for example gems) and they won’t be able to use it outside of the game.

There is currently no method of doing this. UGC accessories can only be purchased using Robux. There is no way to bypass this and sell UGC accessories for an in-game currency.

As I said I want to sell the UGC in my game and using the game currency Without it being in the player’s roblox avatar inventory which means they can only use it inside the game and won’t actually own it in roblox

If there is anything confusing please tell me.

Thank you.

Above is incorrect, you aren’t allowed, ask permission first. “Other experiences do this” is poor justification for anything when answering questions regarding rules - if it turns out the action in question isn’t allowed and you blindly follow bad advice like this, you could also be breaking the rules. Others doing something does not inherently mean that thing is allowed.

If you’re selling UGC items (accessories, shirts, pants, etc) for in-game currency and for use in your experience exclusively then you actually do need permission from the creator to do so. This also includes just using their items without selling them.

Selling items on the catalog is not an implicit grant for developers to use those as development assets. It’s unfortunately very widespread and ingrained into developer culture that the sale of items on the catalog implicitly means they can be used for other purposes too but that’s untrue. So do be aware of that instance in case, for example, a UGC accessory creator doesn’t permit their accessories to be used in-game besides from a catalog purchase and they file a complaint with Roblox regarding it.

7 Likes

im pretty late to this thread, but regarding this, if i am not allowed to use ugc accessories in my game without permission from the ugc creator, would avatar imports that contain ugc (such as my avatar) be allowed?

Do you have any sources on this? Roblox states the following in their terms:

"You understand that in certain situations your UGC may be copied by other Users of the Services and discussed on and outside of the Services. Any service or application offered by Roblox, such as those allowing Users to develop Virtual Content, connect with others, and use Virtual Content created by you and other Users. It includes websites on the roblox.com domain, our Roblox mobile, virtual reality and Xbox apps, the Roblox Player, the Roblox Studio, and our other websites, products, software, applications, content, data feeds, and other services. If you do not have the right to submit UGC for such use, Publishing such may subject you to liability. Roblox takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any UGC Published by you or any third party. "

Roblox also states “You do not gain any rights in anything we (or someone else) creates and/ or distributes on, in, for or with any of your Catalog Items.”

Preface: IANAL, this is not legal advice. This will obviously be interpreted. Seek proper legal advice for a clearer answer.

This post was made in 2022 so you’re asking a little too late since the terms could change between the time you’re posting and then. Be sure to take note of the post date before responding. That being said, please take note of the sentence preceeding the excerpt you copied:

You represent and warrant that, at the time of Publishing UGC, (i) you own or otherwise control all the rights in/to the UGC;

Roblox Terms of Use. Section 6.b. Accessed November 12th, 2023 @ 8:58 PM GMT-5.

Roblox does not govern copyright laws - what you upload to the platform is still your own Intellectual Property, including UGC accessories. The Terms do not grant Roblox ownership over your IP, only a license that is, in essence, mostly unrestricted access to your IP. By this token, it’s not Roblox’s terms that determine what you’re allowed to use or not, it’s copyright law.

This is the case anywhere you go, it’s not exclusive to Roblox. Selling an item doesn’t always mean you’re selling usage rights. Likewise, the same way it’s very abundantly obvious that asset theft and unpermissively using branding is not allowed and gets you into trouble, the same goes for catalog items even if that’s not as well known since support for catalog infringements isn’t as strong, be it Roblox’s responsiveness/avenues for proving ownership of catalog items or the policies Roblox attempts to put out to combat this, which hurts everyone in the process including IP holders.

If you are sold a T-Shirt with the logo of Company A, that does not give you the right to use Company A’s branding for your other uses. That is the scenario you’re dealing with here.

As for:

This simply means that you don’t gain automatic ownership or rights to anything anyone created with your items. If Roblox creates a YouTube video (e.g. a promotional video) that features or uses your content, you don’t gain any sort of ownership over that video.

For this case, copyright takedown exists. You don’t gain rights or ownership to what someone else creates with your content, however you still reserve the right to request a takedown for unpermissive use of your content. That is what this section is explaining.