Is It Bad / Not Worth it to Make Games That Require Multiple Players At Once?

It’s no surprise to many developers that most games don’t become popular despite a lot of effort.

However one area in which I’m confused is the growth of games that require more than one player at a time. For example, a basic FPS game will always need 2 or more players.

The biggest issue is that it would be very tricky for little known developers to maintain enough players for a round system to actually function correctly.

This is why I’m wondering whether it may be best to avoid making games like this as a small developer.

Thoughts?

I believe it’s possible for a small developer to sustain a good player count, but it’d be better if they had a large team to pump out updates often so people do not get tired of the game.

Wouldn’t it be very difficult to even get the initial players though? Imagine a game such as arsenal. No player is going to want to play if they can’t without others to play with them. Does this make it not worth the effort to even develop games like this unless you are already well known?

You have to start somewhere, I guess. sponsors, ads, etc. will also help. If the game is interesting enough, eventually it will grow a player base, but this process can take a very long time. and as you said, difficult. and also the ad and sponsoring part would cost Robux.

1 Like