Is it better to use a cylinder mesh (with a lower poly count) than a cylinder part?

I was planning to replace every cylinder part I’ve used in my build, though I’m not sure if that has any good impact to game optimization.

Need advice. :slight_smile:

Left - MeshPart, Right - Part

2 Likes

yes because higher quality but lot of effort

I’m not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate more on this?

3 Likes

It’s complicated in a sense. If you are doing this strictly for performance, don’t even worry about it.

2 Likes

Depends on the style of the build and how many cylinders already exist inside of it. I don’t think this would have a great impact on optimization, however, it might change the build for the better aesthetically.

3 Likes

Any Part geometry (Ball, Box, Sphere) is known by the Client and doesn’t require a download, so a 1:1 comparison usually means the Part cylinder is better for performance, even though it technically is more complex.

However

Try to avoid performance optimization questions that are 1:1 comparisons of objects because there’s a lot of situational variables that can make the performance impacts swing one way or the other. Instead it’s better to talk about whole assets or whole maps, since that’s a more realistic representation of the use case and doesn’t look at things in a vacuum :slight_smile:

4 Likes