Is it forbidden to mention Coronavirus (a.k.a. Covid-19) in games?

Hi.

I wanted to mention the Coronavirus (Covid-19) in one of my games, but I’m too scared of moderation in these days to mention it without asking other people’s advice.

Is it allowed?

Thanks in advance,
Mehdi

15 Likes

Probably not. The guidance given for games mentions that real life disasters or other similar events should be avoided in games, and it’s a pretty safe bet that the coronavirus falls under that category.

14 Likes

I would say it’s fine, from my opinion there are worst diseases than Covid-19 and I wouldn’t call it a disaster, it’s more of an outbreak.

Just don’t make a joke about it obviously, make sure it’s appropriate.

However personally I would’t get my hands dirty for no good reason and risk moderation with a very touchy feely topic.

10 Likes

Just make sure you put messages like on how to stay safe etc.

3 Likes

Depends on how it’s used. I’d assume it would be okay if it’s a game like plague inc (outbreak simulator) but not okay if it’s dialogue for a meme. (Ex: NPC Saying “It’s coronavirus time!! :crab::crab:”)

2 Likes

Considering there’s a game called ‘The Roblox Plague’, which is basically a roblox version of the black plague, I’d say it’s perfectly fine. But some people can get offended, but it mainly depends on how you use it in your game and how you mention it.

4 Likes

I mean, I’ve seen way way worse made by a friend (cringe that can even be considered NSFW stuff) and he only got warned. The worse I could get is like, a warn?

2 Likes

How about you just chose to not make any content in relation to an ongoing pandemic? Whether or not it’s allowed (is isn’t), it’s definitely in poor taste.

This really shouldn’t be a discussion.

20 Likes

I remember not so long ago in 2018, a small obby game was removed because it contained a lava parkour inside of a school, due to a volcano erruption, and at that period, some school on a tropical island (forgot the name of the country) has had this accident of a volcano that destroyed a school, and caused some human losses. I think you see the picture, and why Roblox removed that game.

As @BurgerBurner said, it depends on how it’s used, if it’s mentionned in an unpleasent or ironic way, it is moderated.

1 Like

You could always just change “Covid-19” to “ROBLOX-19” or something.

1 Like

That is still not allowed and it should not be allowed what so ever no matter if it’s a game or not. Honestly, there should be no game about it or close it WHILE People are dieing from it and while it’s still happening. Even after it’s over it still should not be allowed what so ever in whatever form.

Like I said before not ok what so ever I can see people making a game about of it in like 10 years or so but while it’s still happening? Really?

1 Like

There’s nothing in ToS saying you can’t make a game regarding this. Like I said it depends on how your using the game, either for safety or memes. Memes wouldn’t be okay obviously as it’s a real-life crisis. Safety would be fine considering it’s trying to spread awareness or teaching you how to prevent it from happening to you.

1 Like

But, it should not even be a rule people should be more thoughtful of this type of thing. No matter if it’s a rule or not this stuff is happening here and the now and I get if you are making a game to teach people how not to get it and what they should do. But if it’s a game just to be making a game then that’s not ok.

1 Like

Well, that’s their decision whether to make a game regarding the coronavirus or not, it’s there choice. I’m not in anyway saying it’s alright for people to joke around about the coronavirus and make memes of it, but if their making a game about it with no harm or intention to make people feel offended I’d say it’s alright. That’s my opinion, not yours. If you disagree with me that’s your decision to disagree with me or not.

1 Like

@Mehdi_ea

I can’t answer your question, I am not a Moderator, I do not know their Terms nor Guidelines towards punishing Users.

Logically I wouldn’t do anything risky to get me in trouble.

@DevNetCheese

I don’t agree with your logic, more people die from guns yet there are still games with them.

I understand your emotional standpoint however it doesn’t apply to logic.

I would like to note that Pandemic and Epidemic doesn’t describe the severity of a disease, please don’t use it in the wrong context.

Covid-19 has really bad publicity and people are panicking due to prejudice, there are/were/will be worst diseases than this one.

2 Likes

I do agree with that set there is nothing much we can do about that. But This is something where people can do something about it.
Game’s are games I can understand that but to make a game while Something like this is going on I just not really understanding it.

1 Like

OP’s question is whether it’s forbidden to mention it, not if it’s ethically correct.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t risk it and there’s really no reason to need to mention coronavirus.

2 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there are still D-Day games on Roblox that are frequently updated and have millions of visits. Thus, mentioning COVID-19 may be in poor taste but if the aforementioned games aren’t being taken down, then I don’t see why a game that mentions the Coronavirus will be taken down.

1 Like

It’s funny you ask this, because I was going to make a thread asking the same thing. You see, I made a special train for my train game called BIO 2500, and it’s intended to be a positive outlook on COVID19 as it’s like an ‘antidote vaccine train’ or whatever.

The reason it exists in the game is because I know a lot of people will be spending a while indoors, so that was my advantage - players will want something entertaining.

6 Likes