Is it ok to copy a game?

Hear me out, I have been inspired by another game and I want to make that exact game myself, I understand this may receive backlash from the Roblox dev community, so I wont make an exact copy I’ll add or maybe change some features to the gameplay.

Would this be ok to do?

2 Likes

Yeah its fine
Until the original creator tells support
Boom, game taken down

If you want to make a similair game, you have to make it different with other features and stuff
I mean really different

1 Like

Inspiration /= copying.

As long as it stays an inspiration and it’s not direct copying I’m sure it’s fine. I mean look at ROBLOX games when you look up “da hood”.

As long as you’re not directly taking private assets or directly copying the game you’re trying to re-make, you should be fine.

2 Likes

There is a large different between copying a game and creating a game inspired by a game. Just ensure that the game has lots of different features, you can still have the main game idea because there is not like a copyright over an idea really.

1 Like

Would Roblox moderation really take the game down for being similar?

1 Like

No, only if they use private models from the game or break DMCA/TOS rules within ROBLOX.

1 Like

Not really for being similair, only if it was exact

1 Like

As long as you put something unique and different - yes.

There are so many Murder Mystery copies (of MM2). None of them has something unique( except very few).

You should also always avoid using someone else assets.( except some cases where it is fine).

In further detail from what previous people have responded in this topic with: (in short) it is okay as long as you add onto the idea. Game Design wise, ‘copying’ happens much more frequently than you think. According to some people: “mimicry is the greatest form of flattery.” However even mimicry is okay as long as you change something about it.

When I create something, an idea, or maybe even a system: I think about one specific thing. What is the system. In less than 20 words, could I describe what it is or the name of it? Think, for example, “crafting system” which could be described in under 20 words as: “player goes around world to gather resources and build with in a crafting table.” From there, I usually grab a reference game or system from some other topic. This creates a base structure that I can work with to make my ‘own’ and ‘original’ concept. However if I take too much from it, then I try my best to make a parody system of it.

Once when I have a somewhat decent base of a concept. I think about “what can I do more” and “what can I do less.” That way I have 3 total concepts. My baseline, which was taken from another place and refurnished to match my game’s standards. The lesser version which is more original that takes probably 1 key element, then simplifies everything else. Then the big ‘grand’ version, which is almost completely original and takes the original design to a whole new level. (For example, taking Final Fantasy XIV’s crafting system, but then adding in harder resource gathering and much more delicate energies that you use to work with crafting to make equipment).

While ultimately it isn’t okay to straight up copy a game. It is 100% okay to ‘reference’ or to have certain key parts of a game in yours. Genshin Impact references Breath of the Wild, for example. As long as you make your game’s identity different than the other game’s identity then I’m pretty sure it is alright!

1 Like

i think this would be okay but dont use similar or the exact same assets. Most of the backlash comes from people just copy pasting the assets so it looks extremely similar to the original game.

It is not okay to copy a game since you don’t make it better than the original.

I will make it way better than the original!

I’ve heard the majority of Inspiration comes from looking at one thing and seeing another. I think it’s awesome you found a game that inspires you to go above and beyond and if anything you will learn from the dev process. Good luck!

1 Like