Is it ok to use free models?

Right now I am working on a project and there is an element I want to focus on. I physcally don’t have enough time to make a ton of building for the new project I am making and would rather focus on another element (stay tuned for the announcement of my project) Are virus-free models ok to use? I already have a plugin that checks models if they have a virus or not. I just feel bad if the game blows up (highly unlikely) that the creator of the model in the toolbox would be mad that they got no credit whatsoever. Thanks for reading!

34 Likes

Yes, it’s perfectly fine to use free models, as long as they don’t have any viruses or back doors. Creators won’t get mad since they had to put the model on-sale, so unless they accidentally made it public for people to use, you’ll be fine. However, if you’re player base is older, they may start hating you for only using free models, but that’s unlikely and only if ur game gets extremely popular.

28 Likes

I probably will use free models as a place holder and replace it if starts receiving backlash and ridicule for using free models.

17 Likes

It is, there is so much stigma on using free models and I just don’t get it, they are there to use them and to enhance your own game. Most popular Roblox games use free models too so if people get mad at you they have to get mad at every single game that uses them.
The only case I could sort of understand why people complain about free models is when a game is made completely out of them, but still, there’s just no reason to

26 Likes

I completely agree now that I think about it. It is like if someone gave you an apple then everyone hated you for receiving that apple. I won’t use too much I will just use it for the building. The terrain + mechanics will be totally created by myself.

17 Likes

It just depends if you can incorporate them into your game smoothly so that they don’t stick out like a sore thumb.

19 Likes

You can do it, there is no problem with that. Some time ago, I worked for several teams with many different artists. What they had in common was that they all used the toolbox’s free medels. of course they were very careful in choosing the assets. they were mainly looking for things that would fit into a single style so that the game would be coherent and pleasing to the eye.

Negative reviews are unmissable, even AAA games have them. You simply can’t please everyone. Just try to create a good experience, with a nice and consistent style.

21 Likes

YES! totally agree i published my first game (outdated, its already archived so dont ask to see it) and it was like 10% free models that went well with the scene and like everyone hated me :{

11 Likes

There’s nothing inherently wrong with using them, if you don’t expect your game to gain much traction then there shouldn’t be any real issue with it. I’d recommend using medium quality models though as those don’t tend to be as “obvious”.

If you’re worried about the creators of the models getting mad then I’d suggest giving them credit somewhere.

12 Likes

Yeah, it’s alright, but just make sure that majority of the content in your game is made by you!

11 Likes

Only use free models if you cant find the free mesh or whayeber you need. Then take out the scripts and make your own.

8 Likes

Would using free models in all the buildings and then making the rest myself be considered as good?

11 Likes

Depends on the quality of free models you’re using.

8 Likes

It is fine to use free models but I recommend not using models on the front page store because the front page you see some virus models/scripts and if you don’t want your game to be big go ahead

1 Like