Is it ok to use the Highlight instance?

Hello everyone! I hope you are feeling great! :smiley: (Not sure if this is in the right topic)

• What are you attempting to achieve?
    I want to use the Highlight feature made by Roblox as I see many games using it.

• What is the issue?
    The Highlight instance is really bugged, mainly when parenting highlighted objects along with things with no highlights somewhere else like ReplicatedStorage and then putting them back to workspace:

This issue was reported to Roblox months ago, but I still see no signs of it being fixed or even an announcement stating that Highlight was released.

• What solutions have you tried so far?
    There is no way to fix it other than just not using the Instance itself.

In short: Is the Highlight instance already released? Because I am seeing many bugs with it that have not been fixed yet, oddly enough it works in a live game, and the API has 0 documentation about it.

1 Like

Something I noticed today (which might be a factor here), is that if you have a large number of highlight instances, even if they are all disabled, some of them won’t work when enabled.

I think the amount of highlight instances is limited.
I had a large number that I wanted to just turn on/off as needed (one per entity), and only the odd one or two was working.

e.g. 1000 disabled highlights, turn one on - it may or may not work. Seems to be the most recent created will work but older instances stop working.

Changing my code to create the highlights on demand fixed my issue.

local highlight = Instance.new("Highlight")
highlight.DepthMode = Enum.HighlightDepthMode.Occluded
highlight.FillColor = Color3.fromRGB(255,0,0)
highlight.FillTransparency = 0.75
highlight.Parent = target
highlight.Adornee = target
highlight.Enabled = true
3 Likes