Is it possible to create a Gran Turismo-like engine in ROBLOX?

What about recreating Gran Turismo 1 and 2, the first 2 Gran Turismo series games that came out only for the PS1? Will it be possible?

I’d like to think that with enough time and effort put into a project, you can make something people find impossible to do possible. But with that, comes a lot of hard work. It would be a lot more easier if you gathered a whole team to help with this project.

Since Gran Turismo is a realistic driving simulator game, if you are trying to go for a very realistic detailed game, trying to make it smoothly compatible with low-end PC’s might be a struggle, and would require a lot of tweaking to improve game performance.

Not to mention, concerning the physics, like @wevetments said, your programmers (assuming you would gather a team) would have to be very experimental and try to mess around with the physics engine to suit what you’re trying to go for.

So in conclusion, yes it’s possible to try and re-create Gran Turismo in ROBLOX. But, it would definitely require time, effort and experimenting.

After watching some videos about the mentioned game, I’m pretty sure you would be able to get something very close to Gran Turismo. An issue that I saw was the drifting, that’s gonna have some math involved, but nonetheless, it’s definitely possible.

What you can do is email the person who made it and ask for files. The person I linked above said this

I’m glad you asked actually, they’re the source files! In 2017 I received permission (via email) from the id Software studio director to use the assets for this game specifically. Also, the shareware assets (so all of them here) are protected. The game was taken down before that because the name included “DooM” and I had to change it to RooM - and apparently it’s now safe.

You can probably email the company , it will be risky. But it’s a way to make the game like Gran Turismo. Like @wevetments said:

1 Like

To add on what @ScytheSlayin has said, if you plan on actually porting Gran Turismo into Roblox, you have to get in touch with the developers first as this may get your account in trouble. You are not supposed to use other games’ source files without their written permission!

Although I feel like this is not what you are intending to do?

4 Likes

So, I have to reach out to Polyphony Digital and ask Kaz if I could use the source files and assets from a Gran Turismo game in order to start the development process?

If you are dedicated enough and are willing to put a lot of time in making this game then, yes it is possible. With that said some of the realistic features may not be possible to make at the moment.

Well it doesn’t matter how many developers you have, it depends on how good they are. You could have a team of 4 experienced developers and you probably could achieve the exact same thing as 20 okay ish developers could. For this sort of game you will need a good programmer, a car builder/modeller, UI Artist and a builder to build the terrain and tracks. You may be looking at 4 - 6 experienced developers to pull this sort of game off. You may need to contract a few people as well to make a few of the games assets like logos.

It really depends on how much time you put into making this game and how much time your developers put into making this. The amount of developers you have will also impact this time it takes. I am not saying get as many developers as you possibly can as the game will end up taking longer to make, having a few experienced developers will impact the time it takes. This brings me onto my next point, it will also depend on how experienced the developers are because experienced developers will be able to do something quicker than someone that is okay at developing.

This is possible but it will require lots of work. As the OP said you will have to do lots and lots of optimisations. Your team will also have to be experienced in optimising games as well.

With all this said you may need to consider getting permission to use some of the car brands as you are going to be using realistic cars.

Edit: This topic should be in #development-discussion.

Yes, if you were to potentially use their source files without permission, it would be illegal.

1 Like

As @TypeByte has said, it is illegal, uploading any copyright protected assets to Roblox will result in a copyright strike and in the worse case even take legal action against you. You are only then allowed to upload assets owned by other games / under copyright protection if you have their written permission via letter, email, contract etc.

1 Like

One method of getting around this (at least with source code porting) is clean room design.

2 Likes

What if the game had fair use? Will the game still get DMCA’d or taken down? And will assets be built by the devolpers of the project (not Polyphony Digital)?

Fair use or not, uploading other games’ assets without permission is illegal. You need not create/recreate a game’s assets if you have the permission to upload theirs.

Edit:

What do you mean by this?
You will develop whatever’s missing, not Polyphony Digital. Let’s say you need a building for your game, if Gran Turismo has building files, you may use those, otherwise it’s up to you or your team to fill in the gaps.

I meant that if the car models, buildings, and other models in the game have to be self-made by the dev team for the Gran Turismo-like engine project for ROBLOX.

If you don’t have the permission to use their files, the development team has to create the car models, buildings etc. If you do have the permission on the other hand, you may upload their files and use them to port Gran Turismo.

So how long will the model developers take to create one car on average? Also, how many years of experience do my developers need to have in order for the game engine to be developed and actually work?

1 Like

Creating a car chassis takes about a week to complete. The car’s body takes like one to two weeks depending on how detailed the car would look. Since your game will rely on its game engine, this takes months and even years to perfect, you would obviously be adding constant updates and roblox updates might break some things, so yeah.

I haven’t hired anyone yet, so I wouldn’t know how experienced a person should be to create these things. Probably 2-3 years of experience would be fine since a game’s framework is complex stuff.

1 Like

And how long will it take to create and finish the engine and the whole game together?

It would depend on how active your team works on the game. Even with a full team of developers, it would take at least 5 months to a year or possibly longer.

It is very hard to predict how long a game would take to make as you have to consider multiple things. It would depend on how big your development team is as having two people is certainly quicker than having one person. You will need to consider how experienced your team is, as in theory the more experienced you are the quicker you will be able to do something. As the OP said it would depend on how much time you put into the game each day.

Well, like I said above, he could email the owners of the game and getting permission from them and also get their files.

1 Like