Is it possible to get pitch black rooms with a higher ambient?

I want a very small area to be very dark, however, lowering the ambient lighting causes problems in other areas, requiring me to use an absurd amount of extra lighting to compensate for making this one area look good.

So, is it possible to make a dark area, without lowering the ambient lighting? Any technique of faking it that I’ve thought up so far just looks ugly.

you could overlay the screen with a vignette!

You could use a black neon room

Wouldn’t really work if the player was in the brighter area looking into the darker area, they’d probably just be confused why their screen got darker. While it could definitely bit kinda cool, wouldn’t work as a substitute.

Also not trying to make the room pitch black

(This is what it looks like at darkest ambient, which causes other areas to be extremely dark, and forces me to use an unecessary amount of extra lights to compensate that have their own problems.)

(Here’s what it looks like at higher ambient, which alleviates all the previous problems, but makes it look kinda bad)

And yes I am aware it is a bit short, I plan to make it longer later, that shouldn’t affect it any though.
Also fog wouldn’t really work.

What if you locally position a light inside the player, and fake ambient light by barely lighting the area using a pointlight with shadows disabled, and a low intensity?

I have the same issue and I cannot think of anything

Ok I don’t know why I never responded to this but, the effectiveness of that would heavily vary based on the size of the room