Is it possible to make a textured meshpart not shine from any light?

Hello all! the project i’m trying to attempt is recreating PS1 graphics to the best of my ability, the game i’m trying to base it off of does not have any form of shine on any surfaces where light hits (from the sun, etc).

Does anyone know how to replicate an effect like that on a mesh with a texture? on any other situation, as in with an untextured mesh i’d just make it neon with a color that isn’t bright enough, but that doesn’t seem like a viable option, many thanks!

(i don’t know if this belongs here, sorry!)

I am assuming this is what you want? If so, I would recommend creating a material variant, as Material Variants can be used to replace already existing materials. In the example above, I created a replacement material variant for Smooth Plastic using a plain white image in the roughness property. Another good use for this method is if you need multiple parts / meshes to have no reflective light. This only works for meshes that use the texture Id property for the texture. If you are using a Surface Appearance then you will do the same thing as the material variant.

I have uploaded material pack that has a material named 'Matte" you can use that will remove the light reflection from parts / meshes.
Base SmoothPlastic Materials

If you want to read more on this, I would look at these 2 sources Roblox already provides;
Materials | Roblox Creator Documentation
Surface Appearance | Roblox Creator Documentation

2 Likes