Is it possible to make hair physics from Cage Deformation?

With the Cage mesh deformer in beta, I thought about making hair physics using multiple parts with ballsocketconstraints and then one mesh to make the finishing touches so when I run the simulation, the hair mesh should have a bit of soft-body physics. Is that possible? If it is, what is the best way to do it?

3 Likes

It sounds like a very tedious process. However, I think it’ll work if you try. I think Roblox had announced foliage physics, however it was never released. Still, as of now, I don’t think that it’ll be possible to simulate hair physics in Roblox without having to write very complex code for it.

1 Like

I am currently working on a project that involves aerodynamics and I tried to make a sail this way. One thing that I learned is that it is very hard to use a lot of densely placed BallSocketConstraints without producing lag. You can probably still try to make hair this way, cause I think that the lag was caused by collisions between the sail parts (hair probably does not really need collisions).

To be honest, I think you should wait until some new feature enable
realistic hair with physics to be made. Unless Cage Deformation is capable of that of course. I have not really looked in to it, so I do not know.

Take a look at this part of this video How Disney Makes Realistic Hair? - YouTube he explains why collision is needed for hair simulations

2 Likes