Is it possible to manipulate message metadata/prefix/text on the server with new TextChatService?

I’ve been experimenting with the new (chat system recently released), the post shows how to set tags such as VIP using attributes via the client, but it doesn’t seem to show how I would first receive the message on the server, manipulate it there, then let it be sent back to the client. For example, a server alternative to this fucntion.

If anyone has any ideas or knows how to do this, please let me know! Thanks!

1 Like

There is no server variant of this function. Since text filtering is handled automatically, each client would receive a tailored message response and there isn’t a great way to have messages formatted from the server unless maybe it occured before the text filtering step.

In an effort to understand how we can improve onboarding in the future, what are you trying to accomplish? What are you trying to do that would make it easier to format a message from the server?

2 Likes

I store most of the player’s information on the server in a location that clients cannot access. This includes chat tags and other chat formatting that was originally handled by a server system built into a forked legacy chat version. This system retrieved formatting data from the player’s server profile.

Allowing manipulation of chat metadata (for example) before filtering means I’d be able to change the formatting once, then send it to the client—instead of being sent to the client, then the client needed to request data from the server. I know setting things like attributes and values can be a simple solution to this, but that requires both setting and keeping those values updated.

4 Likes