Is it possible to script a randomly generated map everytime?

Hello you can call me Tank and im not to knowledgeable on scripting and I want to know if it’s possible to create randomly generated maps consisting of at least 100 parts possible?

• It has to create a base ground which is something to be stood on

Something that has this feature are these games down their I
V

4 Likes

Do you want the maps be copied from ReplicatedStorage or somewhere else or a random generated one? If it is a random generated one you should learn some math that I don’t really know, and maybe some Perlin noise using math.noise .

3 Likes

YES! There are already games in Roblox that do this! The concept isn’t too complex so it can be replicated.

1 Like

These things do exist here is an example. There are many tutorials out there that explain procedural generation.

I also found this Procedural Terrain Engine [Demo] - Roblox
(Credit to @tobyjing2005 )

Adding one more thing if you scroll to the bottom of this it tells you more about Procedural Terrain.

6 Likes

Oh yes! im sure that would work and if im right im guessing the script would take and use the parts in ReplicatedStorage

1 Like

It is possible to do that, however, remember to place them into the ServerStorage when they aren’t needed to reduce network traffic, otherwise, the latency of your game will be high, especially for high ping players.

1 Like

Wow, never thought my demo would be found.

I really like your demo, I saw it some now some days. Great work!

Thank you, I could probably make a better one in 2020.

1 Like

While you’re here. Do you think it’s harder to generate random worlds with terrain or parts?

Parts, because you have to create triangles and in a specific order. However, with terrain, it looks more realistic and it’s easier to make so I chose it, but for some games, triangle terrain might look nicer.

thanks for the feedback its very helpful :+1:

No problem. Good luck with future projects.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.