Is it worthwhile developing an RPG. Are they a dead genre

When I first joined Roblox, there was an abundance of RPG’s. They weren’t the best but they were fun and I met some cool people in them.

Recently I’ve started seeing less and less RPG’s with the exception of Astral Hearts ( i think that’s the name? ) and the wip Dungeoneer. The player count for RPG’s is either pretty low or non existent even if the game/play is amazing.

Do you think it’s worthwhile developing an RPG or do you think it’s a dead genre.

OR

Do you think there needs to be an RPG with something unique to make people want to play.

14 Likes

ps I only figured out how to post today :^)

4 Likes

I find that a majority of users (who are usually kids) do not have very long time spans. With this, comes a dig at long, trailed out games like RPGs. I do think RPGs aren’t dead, but just don’t have the action that was shown prior to what we see as “quests” of exploration around a world. I would rather play 100 minigames than play 30 minutes of one game that only gets thru little to no quests.

I don’t think they’re dead, I just think they aren’t performed as well as they used to be.

8 Likes

Pokemon Brick Bronze is a RPG and is somewhat high in Top Rated, Top Earning, and has consisently high player counts. Fantastic Frontier is also an RPG and is somewhat well rated, top earning, and has like 1000 players right now.

Making an RPG on roblox that is well rated and gets a ton of robux is as viable as ever, just as long as you have a good development team. :+1:

4 Likes

yoo im making Dungeoneer, what’s up

I don’t think RPGs are a dead genre - there just haven’t been many really good ones. Like, if you look at Swordburst 2 - it managed to get multiple thousand players on at once, and it still consistently has 1k+ players at any time. Swordburst 2 however isn’t the best example of a good RPG. Hexaria is a very good one, but I feel that because it’s like a card game and it’s turn-based combat, it kind of limits players who have less patience, and it’s more strategical than skillful - which limits player count further, since strategy games aren’t too popular on Roblox considering the audience.

There’s a lot of potential in RPGs on Roblox. They just have to be done right - and then they can do very well.

5 Likes

RPGs need to be reimagined to work on roblox. Traditional RPGs are

• Solitary
  • Long
  • Hard to make

Any one of these aspects will kill a roblox game. To make a successful RPG you need to solve all 3 problems. And no one has done that yet.

16 Likes

I think it would be worthwhile and very rewarding if you an offer something to the table that other RPG games on Roblox don’t have. If it’s unique and appeals to the player, I believe it would be successful.
Best of luck!

5 Likes

I think it depends on whether or not your content can entertain players enough for the end goal of what you want the RPG to do.

Say - whether it’s replay ability, or something that’s meant to be played once.

Whether you’re focused on telling a story or you want to show off challenging game mechanics/puzzles/bosses.

It’ll be worth it if you can find a niche that people find enjoyable.

3 Likes

Honestly, if you look in the right places it is very possible. For example, swordburst online is based off a anime that kids and teens both are interested in. If you have the ability to make a game, and you have the right idea’s then it is very much possible. If I were you I would re-create something based on what people are interested in at the time, though this is just my opinion. If you are willing to make a game and have the mindset go ahead.

4 Likes

I would avoid using Swordburst 2 as an example. It is by far not the norm and mainly gained players because it stayed at the Top Rated page for many months allowing it to build hype until its free release. Its currently propelled mainly due to its frequent updates which must be really taxing on the development team as RPGs are a lot of work.

If your goal is to make a popular game, avoid RPGs. If you have the skill to make an RPG with unique features you’ll surely be able to find success elsewhere.

4 Likes

In my opinion, RPGs are fun to make and making one is definitely worth it. A lot of RPGs on Roblox follow the same basic formula of where the player goes defeats various monsters to level up, which allows the player to enter into a new area, only to repeat the same process. The successful (and arguably fun) RPGs are ones that add an unique element and tend to not follow that formula. Thus, I wouldn’t say that the genre is dead but rather it hasn’t not as popular as the other genres because of that dreaded formula.

7 Likes

Anything relating to swords will not be worthwhile. RPG weapons are more relative and well known to the ROBLOX community. For example Phantom Forces is a popular RPG game. I feel like it would be worthwhile if you make several maps and weapons. This will be a successful game if you make something like this. If you have any other questions for me feel free to ask :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A few years ago (in my youth: ~10 years old), I developed a very typical (and very bad) RPG that was very common at the time. It basically used the formula mentioned by @mircostaff It recieved around 200k visits + still has players to this day. So for that reason, the old RPGs seem to not be a “dead” genre per se, since the younger audience find this formula easy to understand and thus seem to enjoy playing it.

For this reason, I believe that successful RPGs are definitely a possibility, especially those that combine an easy play-style with unique elements (Think Hexaria: a truly awesome RPG with the unique turn-based card battle system and has a rather large player-base despite the early and paid access nature of the game.)

Sidenote: Phantom Forces is an FPS game, an entirely different genre to RPG.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t classify Phantom Forces as a RPG game, it fits much better into the FPS genre.

5 Likes

I’ve been in your Twitch chat a few times watching the development. Keep up the good work.

I actually forgot about Swordburst 2 & Hexaria! They’re probably the best examples of rpg’s that are successful on Roblox.

3 Likes

Development Team? What’s that??? Kappa

2 Likes

If you die in game, you die in real life.

I think I’m gonna spend tonight brainstorming what makes certain RPG’s fun and how to keep that fun long term.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for your input. Your opinions are valued immensely and I’m sort of shocked at how kind everyone is. If this was stackoverflow I would of been shot, revived and shot again.

2 Likes

Developing RPG games is very fun. It’s so easy and enjoyable. It makes players more focused and wanting to beat the game. I mean, just look at SparkleTimeStudios; they’re making successful RPG games right now.

1 Like

I consider my DBZ game an RPG and that’s been popular for months. I think RPGs on roblox are just underdeveloped and never done right.

5 Likes