Is my map too large?

I am creating an open world RPG game and it of course needs a big map, but I am not sure how big is too big for performance. This is my current map:

Every red outline part you see in this image is 2048 studs wide, there are 8 parts. And I will expand the map much larger in the future.

The reason I’m starting to get worried is because when I enter this project it takes a long time to load.

2 Likes

I would say yes, sorta. It really depends on the game dynamics like how many people per server and how many structures. For the games start I would say yes it is a bit big. Start small as you can always add more later.

Also side point: I would make a small area to find your theme and add details before making a huge base! Hope this is helpful good luck. <3

3 Likes

A big map gives players a sense of freedom, which is what an open world game has, I’m trying to achieve that here.

Unfortunately bad performance exist so for the sake of good performance I will shrink down the map. >:(

1 Like

Yes open worlds are amazing, its really up to you but for the sake of time sensitivity and preformance I would start smaller (not much smaller) to put more effort into it.

3 Likes

I found a map of the game booga booga, which is much smaller than my map:

I will take inspiration from this. Thank you for answering :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.