Is permadeath a mechanic worth pursuing? If so, when is it appropriate?

Nothing much else to say but to reiterate what others here have stated.

Cater to your target audience but please do oversee the consequences every choice you make has.
Introducing a permanent death mechanic to a game would in-fact not bode well with younger audiences due to their low-patience and low-persistence temperaments.

Perhaps providing an intriguing option to regain their lost progress could remedy this issue, just a suggestion.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree with what iysandir said. Id like to add on my reminding you that they come back if theyve invested something in the game. Thats why RL’s permadeath system works becauwe you tell yourself…

“Well, Ive already spent 350 robux. No sense in giving up this early.”

It allows trading to be a viable option to reduce inflation and prevents hacked currency from reducing the game’s longevity.

3 Likes

You could have the base game, and more of a hardcore mode for those who want to take it to the next level. Be sure to warn them like 50 times, as people really don’t pay attention to these things.

1 Like

Difficult games attracts the group of challengers, the players who usually play hard games. It brings more competition between the players, which follows up on players who plays the game on a daily basis to attempt beating the other.

Breaking Down Type Of Players:

• Challengers – these guys really like challenges and risk – probably most common
  • Traders – these guys really like trading
  • Collectors – hoards all your gear if you offer them a trade
  • Speedrunners – does the game even have an ending?
  • Explorers – curiously searching across the map

Might be great to pursue, my friend has played Realm of the Mad God in the earlier days and told me that the game was great for its size of the world and what you can explore(and the difficult quirk of it). Fanbase and the community will probably attempt creating some sort of guides for the game.

For the UX, people will experience rage upon death, but they’ll still attempt to hoard the awesome gear they could get their hands on.

Unfortunately, majority of the challengers usually belong in a higher age group than the median of Roblox, I think.

2 Likes

Depends on the execution, f.e @Soybeen ‘s booga has it where if you die than you lose all of your items however you’re given the opportunity to regain your gear if you manage to grab it within x amount of time.

Identified flaws in this execution:

• Players leave if they’re intimidated or nearly about to die to save their gear.
  • You can’t accurately predict if a player left intentionally or if the player disconnected therefore punishing rage quitters could potentially result in a false positive.
  • New Players can potentially reach end game content earlier by simply managing to overpower a pro whether through combat or by attacking AFK players.
2 Likes

One important factor in exploring the inclusion of permadeath mechanics in your game is your goal with this project. Is your goal to explore relatively uncommon game types? To create a rogue-like (hardcore) RPG with the intention of getting your name out there and building a fanbase? Or is it more focused on monetization rather than reputation?

In the latter case, it’s important to note a few of the things that other users have posted here. Younger audience members tend to have shorter attention-spans or patience tolerances than others. If risk of death is frequent and high, you will want to mitigate the high death rate by building the system to accommodate frequent deaths. By this I mean, making it relatively easy to get back into the game and into the grind. If you intend to have tiers of enemies of different strengths and difficulties, this would mean not restricting access to these enemies to specific players (like high level players). There’s a few games that deny weaker players even the opportunity of challenging late-game NPCs, such as Orthoxia.

Honestly, how you approach this varies heavily depending on how you structure the game, but if risk of death is high and frequent, then implementing features to help jump-start players who have recently died would be beneficial to help them get back on their feet and back into the grind.

In terms of monetization, it might be beneficial to sell aesthetic, permanent content as Operatik mentioned. Content that persists after hardcore death reset. If you pursue selling in-game advantages such as gear, boosters, or other perishable content, you run into the issue Intended_Pun mentioned and risk losing players who quit after losing hours of effort.

In response to the thread title question, I think permadeath is a fascinating mechanic, however, like many things, is only relevant in certain circumstances. Enabling permadeath features will undoubtedly narrow your target audience, as it’s a less-common and more punishing game type. Keeping monetization in mind when deciding whether or not to pursue these kinds of mechanics is important, as planning is a key phase of development and effective monetization relies upon effective planning.

Operatik and DataBrain bring up interesting compromises with the proposal of a “Hardcore difficulty” toggle, as that enables you to maintain a broad audience, but cater to those who desire greater challenge. You have quite a few options here, and I hope our input can give you the perspective you are seeking.

9 Likes

Yeah. Booga Booga does have permadeath but you can retrieve gear from your past life or have it salvaged by other users. Definitely something I’ve considered in terms of a somewhat lenient approach for permadeath.

That being said:

Apocalypse Rising also has permadeath. The player is punished for this kind of behaviour by having their saves wiped. AR itself is, by nature, hardcore. If I don’t have a lenient approach to it, I find this to be an immersive benefit but a potential drawback for meta UX.

Prediction is not required, you can accurately get this by setting up situations which leaving the game results in a save wipe. For example, there is a game inspired by an anime “Attack on Titan” run by SnakeWorl. Players are punished for logging while being near threats. They must be in a safe place to leave the game, however:

• There is permadeath. If you die, your save is wiped. If you leave near danger, your save is wiped.
  • If you do not complete a mission or game session, your data does not save and you do not get the earnings from that round. Only successfully completed rounds allow you to keep earnings.

Fairly punishing for not seeing everything through while staying alive, but these aren’t false positives. They’re decent scenarios which warrant penalisation for death or incomplete rounds.

If we have drops. Will definitely take this into account because it is a legitimate concern. Thanks for the note.

2 Likes

If you introduce a permadeath mechanic to your game, you must have things that save persistently outside of the play-session, such as cosmetics, achievement progress, acquired gold/xp, etc. This, and the mechanics in your game that lead to player’s death must all be preventable by the player.

3 Likes

Permadeath doesn’t necessarily have to occur on a player.

For instance in my game, Which takes place in the age of pirates. The best of the 1800s. You can build a ship. Albeit it takes quite some time to get a ship built. It’s yours and you built it. And you can customize it how you like. It’s your home, your home away from home. Your kingdom, your humble abode over the pearly seas if you will.

But every ship’s days is numbered my friend. Sure you can repair her. But eventually she’ll be a lost cause even to you. And when that day come, she’ll be joining the Black Pearl in her watery slumbers in Davy Jones locker.

Ofcourse, you don’t have to build the ship, you can buy it already built if you can afford it. Also you can buy insurance which will reduce the cost of her replacement. But I’m afraid your ole’ gal is gone.

And so is everything you stored on her. Good news though, you can go diving and recover what’s rightfully yours. Or you can abandon it. Then one man’s X will become another man’s treasure.

So as you can see Permadeath isn’t necessarily limited to characters. And its most appropriately used when it makes sense, or its up to you depending on what your game calls for.

5 Likes

I had actually become very interested in this subject as well; here was my initial thought process: to be implemented into a realistic game, such as a competitive shooter or rigorous RPG, where when the user dies, the game doesn’t respawn the character and neither forces the player to completely restart, but for the player to have to close the game and press the green “play” button again, with of course their gear/saves. I was thinking about how this would be scripted, but have had no ideas on how. This is an interesting subject to work on, showing the internal fear of dying within the game, due to rejoining the game being time consuming.

Although a similar effect could just be just to create a set amount of time that needs to be surpassed to consume the players time and prevent more deaths, which I see in a couple games so far, for example, CBRO uses this technique by not letting the player respawn until the match is over.

An issue that I saw when theorizing about this subject was that having to X out of the game and rejoin ruins the entire atmosphere of the game itself, and possibly could ward off new players. But, I believe that nonetheless, this is a work in progress and a unique idea.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go this far, regardless of how I handle permadeath if I decide to incorporate it into my game. If a player wants to continue playing, you should interrupt their play session as little as possible. Forcing people to close a whole application to start again is bad UX design not only for games but for literally any other application that can reasonably exist.

This will chase your player base away so quickly. This is poor UX design and a waste of your own time.

The way Counter Strike (or CBRO) handles their game play loop makes this appropriate, though you don’t see that it attracts very many casuals and even then, the market is really only up for those who are actually interested in those matches. That grounds us back to the several points that have been raised over the course of time of this thread’s lifetime. As well, this is not an implement of permadeath. The only thing you lose from a death is the guns you’ve had, which others can pick up and use.

3 Likes

I personally quite like permadeath mechanics. Many don’t, but permadeath encourages forethought and that’s not seen enough in Roblox games. I don’t savescum (normally). However, the biggest turnoff for me would be if death was not preventable with skill, and the cause was not easily identifiable.

Path of Exile is an example of a game I would NEVER tolerate permadeath in. Path of Exile’s gameplay revolves around one main interaction: oneshot, or be oneshot. This is horrible for hardcore or permadeath mechanics. While it’s great for intense gameplay, it just feels bad when either something is not threatening or it oneshots you, nothing in between. You have to memorize every tell for every attack (and even then, the tell might get covered up by GGG’s overzealous use of visual effects) in order to actually stand a decent shot at surviving it; and when you only live once, and said attack is a one hit kill, it’s a bit unfair (especcially if said tell is not big enough).

Permadeath in FTL, however, is welcome. A FTL run can be about an hour or so if you are quick. However, there’s the fact that if you rush through everything to finish a run too fast, you may be too weak to face the end boss, the Flagship, making almost all your efforts for nothing (unless, of course, you unlock a ship). There’s no leveling, no cost to death really; you just have to try again.

What I’m trying to say is that permadeath is situational in use. Some games, especcially where death is frequent and hard to avoid, should not include permadeath. Others, where death can be a stepping stone for a second run or isn’t as penalizing/frequent can incorporate it quite well. It depends on what you’re looking at.

For a nonlinear game, permadeath would be a good addition if done right. (It could also be a big cash cow, if you asked for robux to resurrect players) However, I would be careful; you don’t want to make death too easy to fall into.

Edit: If you want maximum profit, don’t include permadeath, however. Most kids can’t take the fact that they died and have to start all over. I wouldn’t be surprised if an uneducated parent messaged you more than once asking for his stuff to be restored since “it’s roblox, your game’s broken since he can’t respawn like in all the others” or something like that. If you include permadeath, be ready for a lot of complaints from small children that can’t comprehend the fact that death is final in your game.

4 Likes

That last issue is easily solved by defining the permadeath feature at the beginning of the game, be it in a tutorial or in an intro.

1 Like

Not necessarily; parents likely won’t be around to know that so the kid could lie and depending on the parent set the parent on a one man crusade against you.

1 Like

That doesn’t really matter to me though. I am well prepared to handle situations that arise out of the nature of the game. I am concerned with whether or not the mechanic is worth the pursuit as it relates to the game, not regarding pointless outrages outside of it.

Please remain on-topic.

2 Likes

If you implement this I would keep an external log of character RIPs just in case. And I was on topic, just mentioning a concern i saw with permadeath mechanics

1 Like

The only reason I would ever have to keep a log of characters would be for monetary concerns should bought items not be permanent or if a previous character needs to be used in the future (i.e. aesthetics, references, penalisations, unique features, so on). Otherwise, this sounds fairly pointless.

I will consider a log for necessity purposes though, otherwise this sounds like an investment in wasting time.

Logs would also be useful in other cases. You’d know if your kill tracker was messed up, could potentially restore characters that died to a bug or exploit, and so on. The benefits far outweigh the effort, considering all the log would have to be at a bare minimum would be a dump of some character data (maybe all of it?) and the kill data. Also, if all of the sudden you’re getting five times the number of kills a day, and your game hasn’t exploded, it’s a telltale sign of issues even if players can’t/won’t/don’t tell you.

Logs like that are generally just a great idea if you can store them. Doubly so in the case of permadeath games; cuz players dying to bugs really turns them away.

I already have enough of a backup plan to prevent those instances - exploits are a legitimate concern however, only if there is PVP interaction or some way that players can influence the survivability or health of others. In this case, there is nothing beneficial for either party. I don’t find logs to be beneficial.

If you’d like to further discuss this, feel free to message me. I’d like to focus in on permadeath as a game mechanic though, not zoom in on submechanics that stem from it. It’s a fair discussion but I feel it’d be better to bring it in a different environment.

1 Like

Probable, yes.

I’d say permadeath has a few things that should be avoided:

Random oneshots

Lethal bugs

Lack of communication on death (players should know what happened)

Massive losses. (If someone gets to high level and dies, there should be a benefit of some form, or returning to that point should be quick. Otherwise, people may leave when they die.)

Lack of tells. If something IS gonna oneshot you, or put a massive dent in your character, it should be obvious where it’s coming from and when.

After death mechanics. Enemies should not be able to post mortem kill you. Another major gripe I have with PoE.

But generally, if the game would be more intense with a “you only live once” attitude and not paranoia inducing (again, oneshots; players shouldn’t be encouraged to grind all the challenge away just because your idea of challenge is a massive oneshot attack with a hard to avoid tell)

Some games don’t benefit from permadeath. Sandbox games, particularly ones with environmental damage and no challenge once you master actually avoiding said environmental damage (Minecraft comes to mind) don’t benefit at all. PvP games don’t benefit either. In general, permadeath only really belongs in certain story games, games with fast progression, and the like (such as FTL and some RPGs, especcially ones that don’t have bossfights designed to powder you into dust) You could pull off permadeath in other games, but it’d be hard.

2 Likes