Is R6 even worth using at all?

Actually, you could start using R6 in your games, and later make it compatible to R15.

I would prefeer use R15 in some occassions for Animations and Rthro scalings.

I would prefeer use R6 to make touched events work properly, since R6 have a bigger hitbox of that, or you could use R15 and make your own hitbox.

R15 is more realistic. R6 is more blocky and nostalgic.

1 Like

I will stick to my guns even when they are taken from me, you shall never have my beloved R6.

4 Likes

The only reason I use R6 is to respect the genre that my game is making a nod to (brickbattle/Roblox classics). If I EVER (bolded due to uncertainty) make a sequel, It will most likely use R15.

1 Like

If you will use R15 in your game, you will need to edit the animation script, because current default R15 animations don’t look right for an FPS or any other shooter.

They did briefly talk about in one of the posts that there’s a point where R6 will be phased out. I believe it was @InceptionTime that mentioned this, correct me if I’m wrong.

Though, at any rate, I don’t really see R6 going anytime soon. R15 still has a ton of issues and bugs that the staff haven’t work around. (Especially with Touched events.) Additionally, this would break a lot of older games and have them cease to exist.

1 Like

Besides the following that I have made note of, are there other reasons why a developer may want to use R6 for their games?

• Animations
  • TouchedEvents
1 Like

R6 is really easier to use at all
you have 6 parts on your body

but for some reason my game goes only R6 because people still needs my game to be R6 and with the Animation

I spent a bit of time thinking and this is what I came up with:

• Simplicity is a good reason developers will use R6
  • Predictable animations (In R6 both feet are together exactly a stud apart but in R15 they are staggered at an almost random seeming distance)
  • A lot less work when making custom animations. (Not as many parts to work with)
  • R15 has is really weird around the elbows and knees, clothing has weird affects and joints look very off in the extreme ends of their rotation.
  • Trying to make something (depends what it is) that is worn on or around the arm or leg is much more difficult or impossible when a joint is involved.
  • Some people just like the blockyness and don’t prefer a realistic type of game over a blocky game
  • Some people think R6 just looks better
  • R6 looks good even without accessories or clothing, R15 does not (this is an option)
  • R6 is very physics compatible compared to R15, I wouldn’t use R15 for an obby over R6. R15 has very odd hitboxes (ex with R15 you can kind of hang on walls with the falling animation) and is pretty buggy and unpredictable. It feels disorganized compared to the simplicity of R6.
  • R6 is original (nostalgia)
  • R15 takes up more space (with its animations)
  • R15 default animations (especially running) look stupid (an opinion). Who runs with their back slouched down like that?
  • Old systems only support R6 (not as much of a problem anymore but still relevant)

Can’t think of many more reasons than what I’ve listed above.

I disagree. There are many games that still use R6 for various reasons. Popular games like Phantom Forces also continue to use R6 over R15 so it’s hardly “dated” imo. Most “obby” games also use R6 due to it being much more physics friendly.

4 Likes

It really just depends.

Animation intense games may need R15, as it provides way more parts to animate, and in return, more realistic animations. ALTHOUGH, I personally love R6, the simplicity, the not so weird walking animations, everything about it is nice.

Recently, I’ve been switching over to R6 rather than R15, and as @Vmena said,

Another big thing is obby games (Such as JToH or difficulty charts) and sword fighting, some of the staples in the community pretty much require R6. If you’ve never tried R15 obbies/sword fighting, no matter the quality of the game, it feels clunky, and it feels bad.

1. You can’t do normal clips, rendering lots of JToH towers useless,
  2. The animations make normal sword fighting techniques straight up broken

And the list goes on, so as far as I believe, R6 takes the cake for these kind of stuff.

So once again, touching the original point, it really does matter. Personally, I love R6, but if your game is an FPS in development, or a newer genre of games, then I would recommend R15. I don’t think roblox will deprecate R6, seeing as it is a backbone to all these communities.

1 Like