Is TGA no longer supported in the 3D importer?

The 3D Importer option to import meshes doesn’t seem to support TGA files anymore, even though it did a couple of days ago. When I try to upload a mesh with a PBR material textures that are with TGA, it gives me the following error:

Asset Upload Error: - Studio
code: InvalidArgument
message: PublishService AssetUpload failed. Info: InvalidImage ErrorCode: InvalidArgument
details: InvalidImage

However, uploading it as PNG seems to work fine:

Given the benefits of using TGA with alpha channels, and the fact that it’s one of the industry standards, I would find it odd that this format would have its support dropped, especially given the fact that it worked a couple days ago just fine. Some of the textures wouldn’t load in the preview, but they would still upload perfectly fine. Now, even if the preview shows fine, it will give this error and the mesh won’t upload.

EDIT: Due to some misunderstanding, I feel like I need to clarify that I showed PNG uploads to prove that it wasn’t my connection, or my FBX file that was corrupted. It is in no way showing that the problem is solved by using PNG. TGA is necessary to achieve certain effects and this is an issue which didn’t happen before the latest Roblox Studio update.

EDIT 2: After a few days of trying without success, today I decided to try it again, and somehow the model uploaded with the TGA files somehow! I’ll update the thread again if the issue returns, but so far, so good.

3 Likes