Is the color blue over used?

Like do you think blue is overused in roblox games? I want to make a cartoony game but I feel like blue themed uis etc are just over used.

3 Likes

Yes and I think it is because it is Roblox’s main theme.

Give’s it a more Robloxy looking feel.

Like I understand the blue = boy and pink/purple = girl but I feel like thats too generic.

2 Likes

True. To be honest, we need more effects we can do to our UI like gradient, a choice of different textures and border styles. More creativity!

I think green and orangish colors are also candidates for such a label of being over-used.

1 Like

I feel like yellow is under used because its bright. Do you agree?

1 Like

I think yellow is under used because it has more negative feelings associated with it (cowardice, ugliness, etc.) compared to the positive feelings it is associated with (warmth, summer, etc.). I’m not saying yellow can’t be used, it’s just harder to make it feel “right”.

Blue is a very comforting color. I don’t believe it’s overused though. If you’re making a “cartoony” type game, I still suggest you use blue. I highly suggest you use pastel colors aswell. Including pastel blue.

Note: This is my personal preference and opinion.

I wouldn’t go down the route of not using “overused” colors. I would perhaps stick to how my game’s art and how its being represented. This usually gives a better look and feel to your UIs as they will blend nicely with your game. As using the connotations of colors is a good idea, it does not always work well on every game. Theory and Practise will never be exactly the same.

For example:
Blocky looking style would probably want blocky looking GUIs to fit the aesthetics. This catagory may even change slightly (color wise) where you use a lot of dark colors in your game - you can use lots of grays, whites and black (maybe red for blood) as they may look better in this style, try to fit your enviroment.

Otherwise if there are a lot of different colors in your game, pick one to two colors (or three) that may suit your enviroment. This is a bad example of using the wrongs colors. Even though they thought of the connotation how how pink is nice and sweet (reference), this does not blend well with the enviroment. However this took care of nature like colors such as greens blues and browns and used them to produce a color pallet suitable for the enviroment.

In some cases you can use monochrome colors. It all depends on your color pallet you use in your game and style. Blacks and grays may be used when you want your UIs to look independant from your game itself.

Since video games in general are supposed to get players immersed into another world (not litrally immersed as the term immersion in video games is on a very broad scale) , the idea is to make your UIs feel as if they belong to that game. Since many other developers make so many different types of games, their choice of colors should not effect how your game feels.

I always develop my UI based on a color pallet of choosing rather than connotations. I also rearanging the sytle of UIs to fit the the overall game’s look, it may even take more than 3 attempts to get it right. Getting into an idea where some colors are overused in other games is a bad idea generally. I would perhaps use that idea if you overused certain colors in your own game that you are developing, as it will give you ideas on how to work around a problem such as that one.

5 Likes

Blue is frequently used because:

• It emits blue light, which keeps your brain active and more alert.
  • Blue is generally a color that people like, not many people dislike blue.
  • The color blue evokes a feeling of safety, stability, and calmness.
8 Likes

Furthermore to your statement, the only time you don’t want blue is when you want something super eye catching or you want it to invoke feelings of “extreme” or “action.” Kind of like disorder amongst the subject.

Hence why sport games go more towards red than blue.

1 Like

Oh, i thought racing was like orange and greens.

Honestly when making a game cartoony, I wouldn’t just stick to one central colour. I’d recommend using a palette of pastel colours — bright colours that are less saturated — to create more a cartoon styled feel. @HolidayPwner shows some great examples of some good palettes.

Good point!

Yeah.

Red is super attractive to the eye, so racing will push for Red because it’s more flashy.

It’s like how they had referees watch the same video of two collegiate wrestlers, one time the winner was wearing red, and one time the winner was wearing blue. The referees tended to call the winner as the fighter in Red. Even when the winner was actually wearing blue.

Sorry you haven’t explained this well lol. The person who decides who won said it was the person in blue, when it should’ve been the person in red? Or is this a referee disagreeing with another referee?

Let’s use not Red & Blue for a second.

Let’s say, a fighter in Black & a fighter in White.
Let’s just say a footage where the fighter in White won.

Now, they displayed that footage, but changed the fighter in White to Blue, and the fighter in Black to Red.
Many referees claimed the fighter in Black (now Red) beat the fighter in White (now Blue).

When showing the same footage, with the colors flipped, referees now reversed their pick to the fighter in White (now in Red) over the fighter in Black (now in Blue.)

“Alter also cites another study that showed how referees can be affected by the same principle.3 In the study, professional Taekwondo referees watched recordings of red and blue competitors trying to knock the stuffing out of each other. Per the official rules of the World Taekwondo Federation, the referees awarded points to specific types of blows. Here’s the trick, though: for half of the referees, the researchers digitally altered the footage to swap the red/blue colors on the athletes’ uniforms. So the footage was exactly the same as that seen by the other referees, except that blue competitors were now the red and vice versa. The result? Both sets of referees gave more points on average to those athletes in red uniforms and less to those in blue. The color of the uniform affected their judgement independent of their performance, presumably because it tapped in to some unconscious bias the judges had for thinking that someone in red was more aggressive and more dominating.” Source

1 Like

I feel like there’s lots of studies on colors and how they affect mood and stuff. Might be worth trying to read through a few studies, or at least articles covering those studies.

1 Like

Blue is a very aesthetic color (when used right), but when it comes to certain things like GUI’s and little things like parts, they can be overused. So what I would say is to keep loud colors very subtle (Blue, red, yellow, etc) it’ll make the game seem more organized.